Wisconsin > Milwaukee: Iron Grate BBQ

Brad Olson

TVWBB Diamond Member
Iron Grate BBQ has been open for a couple of years and recently moved a couple of blocks to its current location on South Howell Avenue. Last month I met a couple of friends there for lunch one Saturday (my first visit).

IronGrateBBQMilwaukeeWI20170923_1.jpg

The interior is relatively sparse, but in a good way.

IronGrateBBQMilwaukeeWI20170923_2.jpg

Order at counter, receive number, find seat, await food.

IronGrateBBQMilwaukeeWI20170923_3.jpg

The smoked shrimp appetizer is mighty good!

IronGrateBBQMilwaukeeWI20170923_4.jpg

Links 'n' curds. Spicy little sausage links combined with cheese curds make for a surprisingly rich dish.

IronGrateBBQMilwaukeeWI20170923_5.jpg

2 meats and 3 sides; we chose a "Milwaukee Rib" and brisket with beans, smoked tomato mac 'n' cheese, and greens. The "Milwaukee Rib" is basically a spare with extra belly meat attached and it's different, and along with the brisket was quite good. Although to be honest by this time we were getting a bit full (you get bread with EVERYTHING at Iron Grate and it's too easy to nibble) and probably would've enjoyed the main course more had we gone a little lighter on the apps. The mac 'n' cheese and greens were enjoyed, and I thought the beans were excellent.

IronGrateBBQMilwaukeeWI20170923_6.jpg

Iron Grate is one of those places where traditional barbecue "meats" modern culinary creativity and the result is an interesting mix that's definitely worth a look-see. It's only a few blocks from Mitchell Field so if you're flying in or out of Milwaukee leave a little time to grab a bite!

Thank you Brad!

about 5 to 8 co-workers have visited "The Gate" with quite similar reviews... one enjoys the joint once a week.
Read the shrimp was a one-time deal until it's popularity hit the roof, now it's a daily menu feature.
And the mac & cheese along with the greens "are to die for".

I have yet to indulge. It is 1st on my list.

EDIT: On Milwaukee Magazine's vote for Best BBQ 2017
https://onmilwaukee.com/dining/articles/loris-picks-best-restaurants-2017.html

Last edited:
You're welcome, Jim. It was a bit of a drive for me (about 2 hours) but worth it, and I'd definitely consider a return visit.

Curious, my wife reports having the same menu items when she ate there.

I've got an eye on you Olson.

Back