Need a little spray bottle and how long will apple juice last in it?

W_Stewart

TVWBB Fan
I wanna start spritzing my meat but couldn't find a small food grade sprayer while I was out shopping today. Any links or specific little sprayers anybody can share? I have a Walmart and Target near me or am OK ordering online (even though I got 2 nice racks of baby back ribs going on tomorrow at noon).

If I crack open one of these little Mott's Apple Juice bottles - it sure would be nice to just stick the sprayer down in the Mott's bottle. But even if I pour a couple ounces in a sprayer - how long will the liquid in the sprayer last? Long enough until my next cook in a few weeks? If I dump the sprayer out but keep the rest of the little bottle - how long does juice last? It's cheap enough to toss the rest of thebottle - that is why I bought little bottles anyway, just don't know how long open juices last. :confused:

motts-apple-juice-6-pack.jpg

I don't know if the neck will accept a regular spray bottle thread, and the length of the siphon tube, but I used to keep AJ spritzes and other concoctions in my garage fridge for weeks with no probs.

Tim

I got a little sprayer at the dollar store but it's taller than the Motts bottle and the diameter of the spray head is smaller than the Motts bottle you pictured. I keep opened apple juice in the fridge for weeks and weeks and never had a problem.

I make a mop. I use a Weber mop to apply it. Recipe varies depending on what I'm cooking. The mops I use are spicy, so a sprayer would never work. :)

Based on what I've seen over the years, I'm guessing that mops are a lost art form.

I just went to a local megamart and found a small sprayer. I forget now if it said it was food grade or not.

As to longevity of the juice, I got tired of paying the high prices the stores want for bottled juice and then throwing a lot of it out. I bought several containers of frozen apple juice (on sale). I found ones that had pop-off lids that could be put back on. Now I take out what I need for today's cook and put the rest back in the freezer. Works great and I figure I have almost infinite shelf life.

Thanks folks. I went to Target and bought the el-cheapo sprayer. Came home and found a glass bottle of expired soy sauce that I could clean out and mount the sprayer on. Now I have a better glass container than some unknown plastic. I guess the sprayer is plastic but don't know I can escape that.

I like the idea of the frozen juice and will check on that in the future.

I buy the larger bottles and the extra I freeze in ice cube trays and then put them in freezer bags. When I need some I just take three cubes which equals 1/2 cup or however much I need and let them melt or put them in the microwave to melt them.
Just finished up a bag that I had for a little more than a year.
I do that with apple juice, apple cider and pineapple juice.

For clear liquids, like apple juice, I can’t think of a better tool than the “Misto” sprayer. I use mine for olive oil but I have another one which is used for pretty much anything else. They are food grade, durable, washable and well made.
I do not get a kick back on them but, I’ve probably sold twenty of them for the company!
Juices with much pulp, sadly that can include pineapple, I’ve not tried it but, I fear it might clog the Misto, no practical knowledge on that front.
Freezing the juice is a great economy move, I do that with stock and so forth, an ice cube seems to be about a 1/4 cup in my trays, YMMV. Works very well.

I've used a lot of different (read cheap) spray bottles for around the house and car detailing. The happiest I've been so far (you can still read fairly cheap) are Zep's. The filter at the bottom of the stem where it draws out the liquid really helps to keep foreign objects from the nozzle and less likely to clog. Probably not 'food grade', but everybody cleans and sanitizes a dedicated BBQ sprayer before use, right?

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0013AX75G/tvwb-20

Probably not 'food grade', but everybody cleans and sanitizes a dedicated BBQ sprayer before use, right?

I think it's less about the surfaces being sanitary than about what might leech out of the plastic. BPA is a known carcinogen used in the manufacture of plastic. It allegedly can leech from the plastic into the contents. It's largely no longer used in plastics intended for food and beverage storage but there would be little reason to remove it from industrial plastics. I don't know how much of a danger to humans it actually poses, but why chance it?

I think it's less about the surfaces being sanitary than about what might leech out of the plastic.
I wrote a long article about it years ago: Food Grade Plastic Containers For Brining

Here's the relevant portion:

What Is Food Grade Plastic?

The U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) requires that plastics used in food packaging be of greater purity than plastics used for non-food packaging. This is commonly referred to as food grade plastic. Plastics used to package pharmaceuticals are held to an even higher standard than food grade.

Food grade plastic does not contain dyes or recycled plastic deemed harmful to humans. However, this does not mean that food grade plastic cannot contain recycled plastic. The FDA has detailed regulations concerning recycled plastics in food packaging.

Another aspect of food grade plastic is matching the appropriate type of plastic to the food in question. Foods that are highly acidic or that contain alcohol or fats can leach plastic additives from the packaging or container into the food. As a result, you should only use plastic containers that are FDA approved for the particular type of food the plastic will come into contact with.

Finally, it should be noted that a plastic container can no longer be considered food grade if it has been used to store non-food items like chemicals, paint, or detergent.​

I would think as long as you keep it in the fridge (and its #5 plastic), it would be just as fine as an opened apple juice container in the fridge.

#5 won't leech anything. #1 and #2 plastics could potentially over time, but chances are slim. Apple juice comes in plastic jugs. So does vinegar.

Just wash them every now and again or buy a new one every month or two and you'll be fine. A few other options would be stainless, glass, or borosilicate if can find one.

This is still a problem area for me. I've used different bottles/sprayers and the bottle part is easy. It is the sprayer where I need a good one.

Every sprayer I get I end up having to throw away after a few uses because I can see inside the spray where the apple juice has developed bacteria. And of course I am cleaning mine after use, I fill the bottle and pump the heck out of it to flush inside the sprayer but it still happens. I feel like I need one that can be disassembled so I can flush it thoroughly. If you don't use a clear one you may not even see it, but I've seen it repeatedly. In fact I have stopped using a sprayer and my bark isn't where I want it now.

This is still a problem area for me. I've used different bottles/sprayers and the bottle part is easy. It is the sprayer where I need a good one.
You might want to check out Specialty Bottle. They have food grade PET sprayer bottles at very reasonable prices. In the smaller sizes the prices make them essentially disposable. They also have glass bottles with atomizers. You would likely have to strain your spray solution through a coffee filter first as the atomizer creates a very fine mist.

I can't attest to the quality of the sprayers, but I've ordered from Specialty Bottle several times in the past and have always been very happy with the prices and the service. You might want to contact them and see if they'll sell you the atomizers separately.

Back