Advice needed MODernizing 18.5" that has been in storage 10 years

W_Stewart

TVWBB Fan
Go easy on me - I stopped using my WSM about 10 years ago and using a different type of smoker. The WSM sat protected in a corner of my shed so I think all it needs is a little elbow grease and it will look as good as new on the outside. I'd like to get it ready for a nice weekend rib cook and maybe tackle a couple functional mods ;)

Inside it is well seasoned from numerous cooks but now has dusty white looking mold over most of it? Is soap and water and a nice hot burnoff all it needs? Or do you suggest something stronger in terms of a cleaner?

It is bone stock the way they came back in 2006 and since then I've seen a few improvements in people's BBQ videos that I don't know if are modifications or new parts that Weber or others sell...

First I'd like a lid thermometer - is a 3" River Country the way to go? A link to a nice clean install procedure would be appreciated, or suggestions on an alternativeNext you think is better.

Next I'm giving thought to whether I need a hole drilled (and silicone grommet installed) to pass my ET-73 probes through if most of my cooking is done on the top grill? I'm usually only smoking meat for 1 and don't always use both food grates, so believe I should be using the top grate. In that case is a hole in the lid more awkward than helpful?

The side door - mine has the small round knob that has been fiddly to close the door again. I saw videos where it has a nicer handle - is that an after market thing? A mod? A new part I can order from Weber?

Any other no-brainer mods that a lot of folks end up doing, or an improvement made to newer models that many people retrofit to their older WSMs?

Thanks for helping me get back on my feet :rolleyes:

thinking of drilling a hole to install one of these Maverick silicone grommets to pass my ET-73 probes through. I do have and use an ET-73 and remote and plan to dr

I wouldn't do the silicone grommet. Just use a cut off wheel on an angle grinder or dermal and cut a slot. You cut it in the top side of the mid section. You want to g deep enough that your probe wires sit in the slot with out the lid setting on them. That way they don't keep the lid slightly propped open.

I use the river country thermometer on mine. I did move it in line with the handle because I put a second lid vent where the Weber thermometer was.

Before you start drilling holes for a thermometer, I would give some thought to whether you wouldn't in the long run be better served by putting that money toward a remote digital thermometer like the Smoke or the Maverick. If you really get in to this you'll probably end up with one anyway. The Smoke now has a wifi gateway available that will let you monitor the temps from practically anywhere using your smart phone.

Cutting a slot in the top of the mid-section will certainly be a lot easier than trying to install a grommet.

As for cleaning, I'd start with Dawn and warm water, maybe an initial good spraying with Simple Green to cut through the grease. I'm pretty sure there's a guide on the site here about how to clean the WSM. Might want to give that a read.

The side door on the newer models has an L-shaped handle the provides a big more leverage. You could simply glue something to the knob on yours if you have trouble getting a grip on it. Canjun Bandit has a very nice aftermarket replacement door but the materials and quality drive the price up to a point where some people, like me, think it best to make do with the original door.

Welcome back!

Did the cleanup this evening - soapy water and elbow grease. Was pretty easy. Then fired up a load of charcoal and wood for a burnout

ev6REKuh.jpg

1sqtN1Hh.jpg

McfxAoZh.jpg

Jumped up to 400+ with all vents open. Good bye mold.

Vpx7AKdh.jpg

Dayum...at 3:00 AM last night it was still at 400 after previously running at 450. This morning it's about done and a nice uniform sheen inside.

My top grade (original) seems a little bit rusted and flimsy so will investigate a nicer replacement, maybe stainless steel? The middle grate seems to be better quality and in good shape. I guess I could move it to the top but it lacks the handy handles to lift it up.

FWIW I used 2 U bolts and created handles on my lower grate. Besides the U bolts you need 2 nuts and 2 fender washers to lock one U bolt in place.

FWIW I used 2 U bolts and created handles on my lower grate. Besides the U bolts you need 2 nuts and 2 fender washers to lock one U bolt in place.

Thanks Len...added ubolts/nuts/washers to my list... :cool:

Currently have 2 racks of babybacks inhaling some cherry thin blue smoke and cruising at 225 :eek:

Back