Electric Weber?

David Munson

TVWBB Super Fan
Yea, I know. But I got divorced. Is the electric Q any good? Good enough to constant temp grill properly bone on chicken and sear steak? It's this or pan fry and oven finish.

David.. I only own gas Q’s, maybe check out YouTube for possible answers. Wish you good luck for your future!!!!

I had a Q240 while living in a condo that wouldn't permit an open flame grill. Prior to that I had an OTG so there is a learning curve though I would recommend to anyone. The temp can be easily adjusted and the grill marks could easily pass for a propane powered Q. I'll try to find some old pics of steaks and chicken I cooked on the Q240 to post.

Thanks Michael. I am looking at a Q240 rig. If you say it can grill perfect medium for a thick one-bone ribeye and bone on chicken I'll trust your review. Probably can't do a whole bird... wait. I did a spatchcocked chicken once or chicken under brick... -dave

The Q240 is the same size as the Q3xx series. I had the stand with mine. The only thing I wish it had were the two side tables. I previously posted pics though since I don't pay for PhotoBucket service they won't show up.

I have one on our patio. 3rd floor condo. Nanny laws do not allow open flame grills. I do have a 22 kettle in the car port that use in the parking area away from the building.

Steaks, fish, pork chops and burgers no problem.

Need to smoke on it? Make a foil packet of wood chips. Double layer of heavy foil that is. Poke holes in the top. Lay it directly on the element on its highest setting. You want to start the chips smoking. Once they are going dial in what temp you want.
I did a tri tip (2 hours) this way and was surprised how well it came out.

The Q240 is the same size as the Q3xx series. I had the stand with mine. The only thing I wish it had were the two side tables. I previously posted pics though since I don't pay for PhotoBucket service they won't show up.

Actually the the 240 is the same size as the Q2XXX not the 3XXX. OP I used to own a Q140. I can tell you it worked VERY well for about anything I did with it. The only thing I noticed different is the heat up time and recovery time (when you would open the lid to flip or turn something) took a little longer than a gas powered Q. My guess is if we had common 240v outlets (as they do in Europe) the electric Q would perform a little better. All things considered though the electric Q models do a very decent job. They are harder to clean though and keep clean due to the heat shields they use. But if you gotta grill and they won't let you have fire it's a great substitute

Thanks Michael. I am looking at a Q240 rig. If you say it can grill perfect medium for a thick one-bone ribeye and bone on chicken I'll trust your review. Probably can't do a whole bird... wait. I did a spatchcocked chicken once or chicken under brick... -dave

Actually it's plenty capable enough to do a whole spatchcocked bird. Where you will see a difference is on a thinner steak. While it will give grill marks it cannot do a sear and keep the inside rare. They just cannot get hot enough and stay hot enough for that. But they work darn well overall

Just a thought for the electric Q and grilling___ take a look at GrillGrates and see if they might help you out, they work great on my gasser Q’s, maybe you know someone who has a set and you could “borrow” them...

Another waste. No need for them. ON anything especially a Q. The way the original grates are designed on a gas Q they become an integral part of the cooking system. On the electric they would be an even bigger waste of time and $$$$ Could even cause other problems too. The way the X40 (electric "Q's") are designed having that electric element exposed is important for heat circulation. Since their design would cause more heat deflected downward the thermostat would regulate to a false temp.

I have a q140 for camping. My parents have a q140 on their deck and my sister has a q140 at her condo. I prefer gas, but for ease and especially if you are not allowed a gas or charcoal grill, they are very good grills. Lmichaels describes their pros and cons and functions and limitations very well.

Oh, and I have another Q140 in the bed of my pickup right now that I picked up on craigslist for $50, brand new still in the box.

Unless you have a pretty sturdy generator how do you camp with an electric grill? Since my idea of "camping" is a bon fire in the back yard and cracking a beer then sleeping with the bedroom window open I don't know how you run an electric grill LOL

I have a 19' travel trailer. Just a simple one. I did the tent, then pop up and now a small trailer. I have a bad back and in order to keep my back in the game and my wife interested, we have gone through the typical evolution. We both love camping. The big thing is just getting away from the house really. Away from all the distractions and obligations for a while. Since we typically camp in a camp ground with 30 or 50 amp service, I figure why deal with propane tanks and why not use the campground power which we already paid for. If we are camping with out electric, I do have an inverter generator but I would take my Q100 off the back deck instead of the Q140.

Shows you how much I camp LOL. I didn't know they had electric. I will give you that though the electric Q is much easier to transport and carry then the gasser. And if you're cooking outdoors I doubt anyone really can tell the difference. I sold my 'lectric Q a while back. Never made enough use of it. I use my red head Q220 far more. May even use it tonight just not sure on what. I gotta do something about my diet. too heavy, back issues, Type II, kidney issues high blood pressure, (the hits just keep on coming) :)
I really want to get to a less meat more veg type diet. I know legumes are good for this but the damn beans keep falling through the grill grates ;-) Regardless I REALLY want to take off at LEAST 50lbs. even 75 would be better though

Larry, try smoking some fish. Great health benefits and great taste. Fish is much better on the grill than a head of lettuce IMO.

I do fish as often as I can. However wife won't eat salmon, (or anything in that family), many of the other types of fish (like cod, halibut and so on) don't work well on the grill. She does like tuna though I am trying to limit eating top tier predator fish (tuna, swordfish, shark, etc.) due to heavy metal issues. Being Italian I do grill a LOT of veggies (though they are hard to make main courses out of). And like I said beans just fall right through LOL. Oddly I was reading that oatmeal is good if you have type II, but if I eat even a small bowl my blood glucose goes out of control. Same with pasta or bread. ARRRRGH!

Yah, pasta and breads are just pure carbs. They are just as bad as sugars for diet purposes.

If a guy eats a lot of veggies and meat, he is basically on the Atkins diet and you will lose weight on that diet. Actually, the meats are the largest portion. Cholesterol is the big concern on that diet but if you stick to fish and poultry, you are doing good.

Anyway, if you want to stay away from the Apex predator fish, think Carp. They make great smoking fish. The problem is, I find it easier to catch a Walleye or Northern than it is to catch a stupid carp. You guys have a lot of those jumping carp down there and they should be pretty easy to come buy.

My thoughts on Apex Predator fish have more to do with seafood rather than fresh water local fish. It's been a very long time since I ate anything I have caught locally. My fishing times now are spent with a little guy who enjoys getting out in the boat with Papa and tossing spinner baits at the lake. Or going on a long hike along the Kishwaukee river paths right near our house. I tell him we're on Indian trails (they're groomed paths but not paved), I made him a hiking stick, and we take a small box of little baits and our rods and we hike for hours. Stopping every so often to throw a line in the water. Every once in a while he swears he saw an arrow head. We have a good time. He doesn't have school Friday so we'll be going out on our "hikes" Friday and perhaps Saturday and Sunday.
Next summer I may buy a state park permit for the Madison Chain. I know there I can have a slightly better chance of "putting him on to something". Or maybe the upper Rock River or lower Rock River (my neighbor says he and his wife do well there). I'll have to email you some videos and photos. I'd do it here but I still get hog tied trying to figure out the convoluted way of posting things here.
But yeah I don't worry about chowing down on Northern, Walleye or what have you. Have never caught a carp in my life. Plenty of catfish. The lake I take him out on near my house has a pretty good channel cat population.
Just made some catfish last night on the Q220 BTW. It was pretty decent BTW.

Sounds like a lot of fun. Also sounds like you got him at the right age. At some point, not in the too distant future, those little ones tend to trade the hiking boots for cars and start searching for girls instead of arrow heads. He sounds like one of those guys that would enjoy a night next to a lake in tent with a campfire. :)

I would love a photo or two. I think you still have my email address.

This is one of the reasons I have upgraded to a trailer. ... Also, notice the fishing rods propped against the picnic table. And the Q140 on the table near the rear of the trailer.

pxtq7DU.jpg

And is that snow in the photo? My wife and I used to try to meet her uncle (from Minneapolis) about half way back before the kids came along. One year our trip got put back until like the 3rd week of October. We decided to meet on Lake Petenwell. We rented a cabin he brought his 16' SmokerCraft (a nice rig). But oh boy it was cold. Never got about 35 deg we were out there fishing in snow. It was quite the week LOL. We got into some walleye and smallies overall nice time but oooooh weeeee a little over the top cold wise.

Back