Banana Pudding

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
This banana pudding recipe appeared in a special BBQ edition of Saveur magazine dated June/July 2011.

Serves 8

3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
6 egg yolks
3-1/2 cups milk
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
1 Tablespoon dark rum
5 medium bananas, sliced
1 12-oz box vanilla wafers
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup confectioner's sugar

Whisk together sugar, cornstarch, salt, and egg yolks in a 4-quart saucepan. Whisk in milk. Bring to a simmer over medium heat; cook, stirring, until custard thickens, about 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in butter, vanilla, and rum. Let mixture cool.

Place 1/3 of vanilla wafers over bottom of 8" x 8" baking dish, then cover with 1/3 of banana slices and 1/3 of pudding mixture. Repeat two times. Whisk cream and confectioner's sugar to stiff peaks and spread over top of pudding.

I think I could make this! Maybe for Thanksgiving.

IMG_5107_thumb%5B4%5D.jpg

This banana pudding recipe appeared in a special BBQ edition of Saveur magazine dated June/July 2011.

Serves 8

3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
6 egg yolks
3-1/2 cups milk
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
1 Tablespoon dark rum
5 medium bananas, sliced
1 12-oz box vanilla wafers
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup confectioner's sugar

Whisk together sugar, cornstarch, salt, and egg yolks in a 4-quart saucepan. Whisk in milk. Bring to a simmer over medium heat; cook, stirring, until custard thickens, about 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in butter, vanilla, and rum. Let mixture cool.

Place 1/3 of vanilla wafers over bottom of 8" x 8" baking dish, then cover with 1/3 of banana slices and 1/3 of pudding mixture. Repeat two times. Whisk cream and confectioner's sugar to stiff peaks and spread over top of pudding.

Thank You, Thank You, Thank you!!!!!!!!!

Chris, just had to tell you this. I came across your Banana Pudding recipe and it brought back such wonderful childhood memories. And then when I saw where you got the recipe, I just had to check and see if I ever had that magazine. When I cut up a magazine, I save the cover, table of contents and index of recipes, plus recipes of course that we like. lol I was so happy to find out that I had the mag. I can't get over all the great recipes that were in that mag. And I found the pudding recipe. Will let you know when we make it. Thanks again !!!!!!!

Last edited:

Back