Smoked Chuck Roast for Chili

Andy Erickson

TVWBB Pro
Decided to use some chuck roasts for a chili I was making and figured I would smoke them. I smoked them for about 2 1/2 hours and then cubed them up and added them to my pot of chili. Turned out awesome and very tender. After adding them to the chili, I simmered for about 2 1/2 hours longer.

njANidz.jpg

o5GUfDv.jpg

5anQhjV.jpg

ppFXKjt.jpg

I like that idea Andy. Going to have to give that one a try because it sure looks delicious.

Looks great, Andy! I've been using smoked brisket (usually point) in my chili for years, and love the added smoke flavor. In fact, today I'm cooking up the triple batch of chili for our annual Halloween party, and roughly 1/3 of the beef in the pot will be brisket from one I cooked up last weekend (just to have the chili leftovers!) :)

R

I’m planning a chuckie for this weekend, not sure what I will do with it yet but, I’m leaning toward a pot roast, next time I will smoke off a chuck when I do a butt (or anything else for that matter) and have it on hand! I’m hungry!!!

Nice looking bowl of chili -- both decorated and naked! My last chili, I used about 2" off the end of a long brisket flat. Absolutely fabulous!

And don't mind the purist thoughts about beans. I've tried both with and without and it just happens that I LIKE beans. This last brisket chili I made had less beans and more meat than usual. IMO, I stay with extra beans from now on. Granted, one of the best chilis I ever had was from Austin's Texas Chili Parlor, but I will still use beans. It all comes down to personal taste and doubters should simply try it both ways. (And never trust any pre-made chili to make a judgement. If you didn't make it or watch it being made, it don't count!)

Great looking bowl of red. I've never tried smoked meat in my chili but I think that might change today. Every Halloween I make my spooky chili recipe and I believe I have some left over brisket point in the freezer, if so I'll add it and see how it works out.
I've won a couple of chili cook offs and love to try new chili recipes and at home, yes I add beans, adds body and flavor to the chili.

How did you decide to smoke the chuck for 2.5 hours ?

Usually when I make a shredded chuck roast I smoke naked for about 3 hours and then put in a covered foil pan with some beef broth for the next two hours. I wanted to simmer the meat in the chili for a few hours, so I figured I would smoke it for a few hours and then let finish cooking in the chili. Meat turned out perfectly tender.

Great looking bowl of red. I've never tried smoked meat in my chili but I think that might change today. Every Halloween I make my spooky chili recipe and I believe I have some left over brisket point in the freezer, if so I'll add it and see how it works out.
I've won a couple of chili cook offs and love to try new chili recipes and at home, yes I add beans, adds body and flavor to the chili.

Made my spooky Halloween chili last night using some left over smoked brisket point. Came out great, nice spicy smoky flavor, no pictures to busy taking care of the little ones passing out candy.

Nice! I've won the chili cookoff at my work the past 2 years using smoked chuck roasts. I shredded mine instead of cubing them but still came out very tasty.

Usually when I make a shredded chuck roast I smoke naked for about 3 hours and then put in a covered foil pan with some beef broth for the next two hours. I wanted to simmer the meat in the chili for a few hours, so I figured I would smoke it for a few hours and then let finish cooking in the chili. Meat turned out perfectly tender.

Was wondering about your cooking temp ?

I'm gonna do this , this weekend, if the wife does not have other plans.

Back