Fish on the smoker

RussL

TVWBB Member
I've read it can leave an odor behind in the smoker. I was thinking of smoking a nice piece of salmon this weekend, but I figured I would check in here first.

Russ, I had a cheapie Brinkman smoker for years before investing in my WSM 22. I smoked ribs, chicken, salmon, trout, etc. Never tasted a cross contamination in flavor. When I got the WSM I relegated the Brinkman to fish. Good luck.

I was going to make a similar post but thought I'd jump in this one and ask a follow up question. As I have read the

I'm planning on smoking a Gammon joint/Ham and a side of salmon this Saturday for a wee Christmas eve feast. Would doing both at the same time cause a taste contamination? Or would I be Ok to have both on at same time. I'm planning on having both on the same rack as it's the 22" WSM I have.

I don't eat fish but 1 or 2 times a year (can't really stand the smell), but if I did I would have to buy another smoker just for fish.

I'm not a huge fish eater, but I have smoked salmon in my WSM. I followed Chris' recipe and it was good (for fish). It had no impact on the next cook I did it in. I think that's because salmon is not as fishy as some that get smoked. I'd imagine a smoker full of mullet would probably stink for a bit.

Back