Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Name of propane adapter

Using both on the same joint is useless and could actually cause failure. While the PTFE dope of gas is a little messier it dies seal small fittings with finer (smaller) threads better than the tape which is more suited to use on larger black iron fittings (even though the dope will work just fine in that application).

Thanks guys. I have to make another visit to my menards. I know where that "wall" of brass fittings is at. It is in the plumbing section. However, there are hundreds of different fittings. But, I will bring the old propane hose with the old connector and the new propane connector this time. Then, I can ensure that what ever fitting I find, will work.

I do have the GAS pipe dope and will use that.
    Genesis 1000-Redhead Q100 Q1400

Hey Bruce, I was looking at that video again, and I'm no longer 100% convinced that the video is providing the correct information if you are looking to keep that 90-degree fitting. I think that fitting may be 1/8" NPT? Here's a regulator+hose combo that specifically mentions the older Genesis models: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...X7TA1C/tvwb-20
    2002 Genesis Silver B, 2004 Genesis Gold C, 1996 Genesis 1000
    Projects: Genesis 1000, Genesis Silver B, Genesis 1000

Yes, JKim, I think you are right on the 1/8" NPT fitting on the manifold side. That link to the hose with the correct connection is a good deal. I already bought a couple of the standard regulator hoses for about $8 each. I have a couple fittings that I know will work as well so I will be good for those. But if I need any in the future, I will probably just go with the Amazon listing that you posted. I do plan to keep the elbow fitting currently on the manifold, but I believe it is 1/8" NPT on bot sides, so, I could remove the elbow and put the hose directly into the manifold if I wanted to.

Also found this on Amazon. But I am familiar with the Onlyfire brand and would probably go that route even though it is bit more expensive.
    https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...M6N4F7/tvwb-20
    Last edited by Bruce; 11-02-2017 at 11:31 AM.

If you have the 90 deg bend I don't think the hose will stand that position. (going directly into the manifold). Side note. On many of the older manifolds there is a 1/8" NPT plug on the bottom. This is for the side burner fitting. If you are not using a side burner there is no harm in removing that plug and installing it where the 90 deg fitting is. Then it's easy to go straight into the manifold

Larry, is that extra side burner connection towards the rear of the manifold?

Quote Originally Posted by LMichaels View Post
    If you have the 90 deg bend I don't think the hose will stand that position. (going directly into the manifold). Side note. On many of the older manifolds there is a 1/8" NPT plug on the bottom. This is for the side burner fitting. If you are not using a side burner there is no harm in removing that plug and installing it where the 90 deg fitting is. Then it's easy to go straight into the manifold
    This is a great idea!!
    2002 Genesis Silver B, 2004 Genesis Gold C, 1996 Genesis 1000
    Projects: Genesis 1000, Genesis Silver B, Genesis 1000

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Larry, is that extra side burner connection towards the rear of the manifold?
    IIRC it was more in the middle. But I don't have my Genesis here. Handed it down to son in law. But IIRC it was in the rear middle at the bottom

OK, I have a manifold out in the garage that came with the extra port and hose attached. Funny thing is that it came on a Silver B which doesn't have the extra burner. Here is the manifold. Both ports are the normal 1/8" MIB. But the rear burner port has a quick connect on it??? Is that standard or a custom thing?

Sometime in that grill's life someone changed out the manifold I'll bet. There should be just a 1/8" NPT pipe plug in that hole but what you have there is a real bonus IMO.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast