Name of propane adapter

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
I just bought a new propane hose with regulator and quick connect for my Genesis 1000. However, it looks like the older Genesis grills will require some sort of adapter. Can anyone tell me the specific name/size of adapter I will need? I have a Home Depot and Menards in driving distance and I was hoping to know exactly what I needed when I got there. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Here is a photo of the new hose with regulator and the fitting on the grill.

gFbEMZr.jpg

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Just in case someone else has this same question, the answer is you need a brass 3/8" Male Flare x 1/8" Male NPT adapter.

Last edited:
IT looks like the hose might have a 3/8" flare nut on it, and your grill LOOKS like 1/4" or 3/8" male. You might be able to get away with just a 3/8" male/male or a 3/8" male / 1/4" male. But I'm guessing based on the pictures.
Honestly though, I'd take both parts with me so you are sure to get the correct adapters.

JKIM: Yep that looks exactly like what I need.

I went to Home depot and Menards and found a 3/8 flare x 1/4 flare and picked two up. However, after taking my old conector out of the manifold, I too found that the threads are different on the flare vs pipe fittings. So, I went back on line and did some more research and found the right ones for less than $2.00 each. Since I have to return the other fittings, I will stop by and get the correct ones at the same time.

https://www.menards.com/main/plumbi...626-c-9434.htm?tid=-64293894322352342&ipos=12

I also grabbed a tube of this stuff. Is this what I need for sealing the connections? I know the video uses pipe thread, but I was told that pipe dope (sealant) is the best way to go.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RectorS...-SearchPLPHorizontal1_rr-_-NA-_-100116773-_-N

Thanks,
Bruce

Well, that link to the adapter at Menards isn't the right one. The connection on the manifold side of the connector is too big. I went ahead and ordered two of the ones from the grill-repair.com web site.

IIRC the female opening in the manifold is 1/4" NPT. You then need to adapt the 1/4" to the 3/8" flare fitting. Menard's has everything you need. I simply took my old fittings to the Menard's store. Found what was needed, got a tube of PTFE gas thread sealant and voila'. I recently had to do this on my dad's Genesis 2000 (now 3000). His regulator would not flow gas any more. I stopped at a nearby hardware store. Picked up a generic regulator/hose assembly the brass fitting and he was "cooking with gas" again. I think I walked out of there for under $15.00

Let's hope it works out for you. When I fixed up a 1000 to use the newer style regulator with the 3/8" flare, I used a 90-degree fitting from a late 2000s Weber Spirit manifold.

Yah, I guess I need to walk in with the new regulator and hose as well as the original elbow fitting from the grill. The guys/gals at my local Menards were not much help.

Sometimes they are. I have found at mine they are usually pretty decent. I was amazed at the True Value near my dad's house in Arlington Heights. There is a woman there that knows her stuff but a couple of the guys when I ask a simple question look at me like I have 3 heads. And I mean SIMPLE questions like "where do you have the 1/4" water line fittings?" Twice they led me to either electrical parts or gas lines. DUH! Typically at Menards you can find the fittings you need near the front of the store (I noticed they're all laid out the same). They usually have an entire wall with all the small brass fittings you need

There is a difference between pipe dope and Teflon tape. One is much more messy to use! Also there is a difference between water pipe tape (Teflon) and gas pipe tape (it is yellow.) The gas tape is thicker and will seal the threads on black metal pipe better.
I use both tape and dope, sometimes both if it a connection I don't ever want to deal with again!

Using both on the same joint is useless and could actually cause failure. While the PTFE dope of gas is a little messier it dies seal small fittings with finer (smaller) threads better than the tape which is more suited to use on larger black iron fittings (even though the dope will work just fine in that application).

Thanks guys. I have to make another visit to my menards. I know where that "wall" of brass fittings is at. It is in the plumbing section. However, there are hundreds of different fittings. But, I will bring the old propane hose with the old connector and the new propane connector this time. Then, I can ensure that what ever fitting I find, will work.

I do have the GAS pipe dope and will use that.

Yes, JKim, I think you are right on the 1/8" NPT fitting on the manifold side. That link to the hose with the correct connection is a good deal. I already bought a couple of the standard regulator hoses for about $8 each. I have a couple fittings that I know will work as well so I will be good for those. But if I need any in the future, I will probably just go with the Amazon listing that you posted. I do plan to keep the elbow fitting currently on the manifold, but I believe it is 1/8" NPT on bot sides, so, I could remove the elbow and put the hose directly into the manifold if I wanted to.

Also found this on Amazon. But I am familiar with the Onlyfire brand and would probably go that route even though it is bit more expensive.
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B072M6N4F7/tvwb-20

Last edited:
If you have the 90 deg bend I don't think the hose will stand that position. (going directly into the manifold). Side note. On many of the older manifolds there is a 1/8" NPT plug on the bottom. This is for the side burner fitting. If you are not using a side burner there is no harm in removing that plug and installing it where the 90 deg fitting is. Then it's easy to go straight into the manifold

Larry, is that extra side burner connection towards the rear of the manifold?

If you have the 90 deg bend I don't think the hose will stand that position. (going directly into the manifold). Side note. On many of the older manifolds there is a 1/8" NPT plug on the bottom. This is for the side burner fitting. If you are not using a side burner there is no harm in removing that plug and installing it where the 90 deg fitting is. Then it's easy to go straight into the manifold

This is a great idea!!

Larry, is that extra side burner connection towards the rear of the manifold?

IIRC it was more in the middle. But I don't have my Genesis here. Handed it down to son in law. But IIRC it was in the rear middle at the bottom

OK, I have a manifold out in the garage that came with the extra port and hose attached. Funny thing is that it came on a Silver B which doesn't have the extra burner. Here is the manifold. Both ports are the normal 1/8" MIB. But the rear burner port has a quick connect on it??? Is that standard or a custom thing?

l5cuzie.jpg

Sometime in that grill's life someone changed out the manifold I'll bet. There should be just a 1/8" NPT pipe plug in that hole but what you have there is a real bonus IMO.

Back