Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Name of propane adapter

Name of propane adapter

I just bought a new propane hose with regulator and quick connect for my Genesis 1000. However, it looks like the older Genesis grills will require some sort of adapter. Can anyone tell me the specific name/size of adapter I will need? I have a Home Depot and Menards in driving distance and I was hoping to know exactly what I needed when I got there. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Here is a photo of the new hose with regulator and the fitting on the grill.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Just in case someone else has this same question, the answer is you need a brass 3/8" Male Flare x 1/8" Male NPT adapter.
    Last edited by Bruce; 11-08-2017 at 06:35 PM.
    Genesis 1000-Redhead Q100 Q1400

IT looks like the hose might have a 3/8" flare nut on it, and your grill LOOKS like 1/4" or 3/8" male. You might be able to get away with just a 3/8" male/male or a 3/8" male / 1/4" male. But I'm guessing based on the pictures.
    Honestly though, I'd take both parts with me so you are sure to get the correct adapters.
    Blue Performer 22 WSM Blue Q 1200

1/4" pipe male to 3/8" flare

which is a video from http://www.grill-repair.com/weberparts.html

who happens to sell the fitting for $6 shippped

http://www.grill-repair.com/weberparts.html

p/n 00012
    2002 Genesis Silver B, 2004 Genesis Gold C, 1996 Genesis 1000
    Projects: Genesis 1000, Genesis Silver B, Genesis 1000

JKIM: Yep that looks exactly like what I need.

I went to Home depot and Menards and found a 3/8 flare x 1/4 flare and picked two up. However, after taking my old conector out of the manifold, I too found that the threads are different on the flare vs pipe fittings. So, I went back on line and did some more research and found the right ones for less than $2.00 each. Since I have to return the other fittings, I will stop by and get the correct ones at the same time.

https://www.menards.com/main/plumbin...352342&ipos=12

I also grabbed a tube of this stuff. Is this what I need for sealing the connections? I know the video uses pipe thread, but I was told that pipe dope (sealant) is the best way to go.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/RectorSe...-100116773-_-N

Thanks,
    Bruce

Well, that link to the adapter at Menards isn't the right one. The connection on the manifold side of the connector is too big. I went ahead and ordered two of the ones from the grill-repair.com web site.

IIRC the female opening in the manifold is 1/4" NPT. You then need to adapt the 1/4" to the 3/8" flare fitting. Menard's has everything you need. I simply took my old fittings to the Menard's store. Found what was needed, got a tube of PTFE gas thread sealant and voila'. I recently had to do this on my dad's Genesis 2000 (now 3000). His regulator would not flow gas any more. I stopped at a nearby hardware store. Picked up a generic regulator/hose assembly the brass fitting and he was "cooking with gas" again. I think I walked out of there for under $15.00

Let's hope it works out for you. When I fixed up a 1000 to use the newer style regulator with the 3/8" flare, I used a 90-degree fitting from a late 2000s Weber Spirit manifold.
    2002 Genesis Silver B, 2004 Genesis Gold C, 1996 Genesis 1000
    Projects: Genesis 1000, Genesis Silver B, Genesis 1000

Yah, I guess I need to walk in with the new regulator and hose as well as the original elbow fitting from the grill. The guys/gals at my local Menards were not much help.

Sometimes they are. I have found at mine they are usually pretty decent. I was amazed at the True Value near my dad's house in Arlington Heights. There is a woman there that knows her stuff but a couple of the guys when I ask a simple question look at me like I have 3 heads. And I mean SIMPLE questions like "where do you have the 1/4" water line fittings?" Twice they led me to either electrical parts or gas lines. DUH! Typically at Menards you can find the fittings you need near the front of the store (I noticed they're all laid out the same). They usually have an entire wall with all the small brass fittings you need

There is a difference between pipe dope and Teflon tape. One is much more messy to use! Also there is a difference between water pipe tape (Teflon) and gas pipe tape (it is yellow.) The gas tape is thicker and will seal the threads on black metal pipe better.
    I use both tape and dope, sometimes both if it a connection I don't ever want to deal with again!
    Blue Performer 22 WSM Blue Q 1200

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast