Any body use these hinges??

Most of those komado grills have pretty heavy springs to hold up the lid which weighs 50 lbs+. Wsm lid may not stay down tight with that or spring open suddenly while lifting lid.

HI Just ordered the hinges today..Will post back with the results..Would be nice to just open the hood of the WSM, and not worry where to put it.:)
Thanks Dan

Looking forward to a review! Just registered my 22 WSM, I think hinging it is a good idea. I have used the beautifully made ones from Jason at “Unknown BBQ” and might to that again but, I’m still in carriage design stage, hinges might make the project a little easier but, I’m not sold on a final design yet.

I just took a good look at that hinge. I don't feel great about it. I think they make some cheap metal kamados that might work for. I wouldn't drill any holes until you really have an idea it will work out. My thinking is that he lip of the center section is going to be a problem.

Doesn't look like it'll be a fit either.

At least he can return it for a refund (BEFORE you drill holes).

Cool. I was worried there for a minute. I guess I shouldn't have doubted you! Let us know how it works out.

Hi All Got the hinge on, with a minor problem..When I go to close the lid I have to pull it forward in order for it to close..It seems like the lid when I go to close hits the back of the barrel.
Have to take a good look at it with a clear head. Other then the minor problem the hinge works great, beats looking for a place to lay the lid.;)
Dan

Last edited:
Hi All I'm going to smoking a 8 lb packer brisket over night. So I had to take off the masking tape, I used to locate and drill the holes for hinge ..I decided then to and fix the hinge. First thing I did was take the hinge a part,much easier to work with it. I clean of the burrs and holes that I drilled, put everything back nice and tight, and the hinge works great:) Still have to drill another 2 holes to make it more sturdy. I'm happy with the hinge, Now onto to the brisket..It's going to be in low 30's tonite , so the WSM has it's work cut out. Git filled up with 1/2 KBB and 1/2 Weber charcoal.
Dan
PS Any one going to use this hinge make sure to take it apart first much easier to work with it.

Last edited:
Got bottom vents closed top open 1/2 still getting 290-300 temps? Lava rocks in the water pan.
Hi Started with 1/2 KBB and 1/2 Weber charcoal. Just lit 5-6 coals in the middle,was holding 250-270 till I went to sleep, closed the bottom vents top vent 1/2 open, temps were 300?
Next time I going to use water in the pan, really wanted to cook the brisket at 225. I understand "NEW" WSM's run hot?

The hinge was the best $20 I've spent so far:)
Thanks Dan

Last edited:
Hi Think I found the problem with air coming in, one of the vents/ damper has about 1/8" space between the vent and the barrel..I'm going tape the whole vent up with high heat tape. Also seen some pin holes in one of the other vents.
I'll get it right!!The WSM is basically for over nights or for when I use the Cajun Band rotisserie.

Qtd1E5Tm.jpg
[/IMG]
THanks Dan

Hi All Now I'm looking for a easy way to remove lid for the rotisserie..Was just thinking of putting a 1/4 bolt thur the 2 parts of the hinge. Some one had mention "hitch pin", I never heard of a hitch pin?
Thanks Dan

I've used the Unknown BBQ Hinge for years and love it. I like the idea of the spring loaded one. But one big advantage to the Unknown BBQ hinge is that it comes apart with a simple cotter pin to take it apart.

BD

Back