email yourself a recipe

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
I was looking for an impossible custard pie recipe using baking mix, like Bisquick, on my laptop.
Found one, but didn't want to use the computer, so I copied it and sent it to myself in an email.
My cell phone is handier in the kitchen and takes up less counter space.
Here's the recipe in case you're interested.

IMPOSSIBLE BLENDER CUSTARD PIE

1/2 cup Bisquick
3/4 cup sugar
4 eggs
1/2 stick margarine
2 cups milk
1 tsp. vanilla
Nutmeg

Put all ingredients, except the nutmeg, in a
blender. Beat on high speed for 2 minutes.
(I put all ingredients in a large mixing bowl
and use hand mixer). Pour into greased 9"
Pyrex deep dish pie pan. Sprinkle with
nutmeg. Bake at 375* approximately 45
minutes or until center comes out clean on
a knife.

Great idea Bob, although I couldn't do that because I have a dumb phone, actually it's so old it's now a stupid phone. Also my computer is a desk top so I just print my recipes.
I like the recipe I'll have Barb take a look at it, she's the baker in the house. Been a long time since we've had custard pie

Last edited:
Thanks Rich.
My pie is cooling right now, not sure how it will turn out since I used a hand mixer and my softened butter turned hard again when I added cold milk. Maybe next time I'll warm the milk a bit.
It will get eaten though, no matter how it turns out.

Last edited:
Have to agree, this is a pretty handy use of the smart phone. I print directly off mine all the time. Use the email to myself too but just about anything I can see on the desktop or my laptop, I can see also directly on the phone. If I'm in a hurry, I do a screenshot with my phone of recipe ingredients and just use the photo while in the store to remind me of everything I need. I like to email links I've found on the laptop to my phone also so I can text them to my wife or other friends or relatives. I tell you, I feel lost without my "phone". Compared to other uses I hardly ever use it to.... make a call.

I have asked "Alexa" for a recipe and she emailed the link to my phone.

Kind of reminded me of these folks:

I have asked "Alexa" for a recipe and she emailed the link to my phone.

Not sure if you were being facetious Pat, but was curious if you did have Alexa, and if so how do you like it? I opted not to get it, for now anyway, when I bought my CyberQ Smoke. Just not sure how much I'd use it.

My pie is cooling right now, not sure how it will turn out since I used a hand mixer and my softened butter turned hard again when I added cold milk. Maybe next time I'll warm the milk a bit.
I'm always a bit leery of recipes that call for tossing everything in a blender at once. I think I'd do it in sequence. Eggs and sugar, then Bisquick, then butter, then slowly pour in the milk while continuing to blend. This is likely where there's a big difference between blending and using a hand mixer. The blender moves things about so quickly the butter likely gets chopped to bits as soon as it starts to form clumps. With a mixer I'd start with butter and sugar, then Bisquick, then eggs, then milk in stages, maybe a half cup at a time. Then the nutmeg. Very last would be the vanilla, probably mixing that in by hand.

Without knowing the theory of this recipe it's hard to say what the proper assembly technique would be. Is the butter there to coat the flour or just to provide fat? If the former, using warm milk would melt the butter and keep it from doing its job. If the latter, the warm milk would be fine.

Is this one of those magic recipes where it makes its own crust?

I've used my phone many times to look up recipes online. I have a bunch of cookbooks as ebooks too, though I've not yet brought my Kindle to the kitchen when cooking.

For those going the printout route, let me suggest the Recipe Rock. It's a curved, weighted piece of plastic with an embedded magnet and a large ball bearing. You slide your printed recipe against the curved surface, between the magnet and the bearing, and it holds it in place. The curve keeps the paper from flopping over. It's a bit goofy but I actually use mine fairly often. I do a lot of cooking from online recipes I've printed and it's perfect for that. It also gets a lot of comments from people wondering what it is.

Not sure if you were being facetious Pat, but was curious if you did have Alexa, and if so how do you like it? I opted not to get it, for now anyway, when I bought my CyberQ Smoke. Just not sure how much I'd use it.

Being serious Cliff. We have the Echo Dot. I mainly use it for music, grab my Bose cube, ask Alexa to play something, and hang out on the patio with an adult beverage and a light up one of the Weber's. It's nice to be able to check on sports or the weather without picking up your phone. I do like the convenience of it. Can I live without it, yes. Would I buy it again, absolutely.

Jay,
Yes, it makes its own thin crust.
I've made many impossible pies in the past, been awhile, and I forgot that I melted the butter.
Always used a mixer, never a blender, just as long as it gets mixed up well and added in no particular order.

Here's an impossible buttermilk pie I adapted for blueberries and using whipping cream instead of buttermilk, it's pretty outstanding IMO.

INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup baking mix
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 eggs
1/2 pint fresh blueberries
DIRECTIONS:

1.Heat oven to 350 degrees F
2.Beat together sugar, cream, baking mix, melted butter or margarine, vanilla, and eggs until smooth. Pour filling into greased pie plate.
Sprinkle blueberries over entire top.
3.Bake until knife inserted in center comes out clean, about 30 to 40 minutes. Cool 5 minutes.

IMGP1964.JPG

I like blueberries and I like the look of that pie!
Good day to try that tomorrow with all this wonderful weather. ( snow flurries today):(
Tim

Back