Looking for Skyline Series Genesis hood

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
If anybody has a leftover Genesis Skyline Series hood they would consider parting with, I may be interested in buying.

Last edited:
Thanks for the ideas. That Spirit version was actually really nice.

I am, in fact, holding out for a Genesis hood if I can ever find one. I have a dream of making a "Chicago" looking grill with ebony black wood tray slats and handle and black knobs. I am still on the prowl, so if you see something let me know!

Might have found one!

Thanks again to Drew for the Craigslist NJ link. It got me thinking about possibilities. I searched around and found another guy in New Jersey who had a nice looking Genesis Skyline Series grill on CL. I contacted him and has agreed to separate the lid, trays and special condiment rack and ship them to me here in Florida! We are going to do the purchase over eBay so that we are both protected. I will let you know if it comes to fruition. In the meantime my gears are turning about a great restore;)

Got My Skyline Genesis Hood!

A while back I mentioned that I found a guy in NJ who was selling a Skyline grill on CL. Thanks again to Drew for the idea that got me looking for, finding and GETTING this one:)

The seller was very nice and agreed to separate the hood, tables, swing hardware and the wire condiment rack and package them up and ship to me. I was able to help him out in return by getting him a valve from a Genesis 310 to replace his broken one. So, it worked out pretty cool.

I have finally started cleaning up the parts as part of a triple restoration of three classic Genesis grills. Here is the inner part of the hood:

2872q01.jpg

2e1zii0.jpg

Overall, the hood is in great shape. Unfortunately, like a lot of black hoods, the top part does have the dreaded white spots from fading within the porcelain. I tried in vain using wax for "black" vehicles and even Meguiars ScratchX, but, as has been mentioned elsewhere here, it doesn't do any good except when the wax is still wet. I am OK with that since the front part with the graphics is still jet black. The wax does make the black look nice, and the metal feels like new. (I do know that this will be short-lived!)

I plan to incorporate this hood into the frame I picked up earlier as a bargain Craigslist find:

24bn4hg.jpg

I am going to use the red hood from the above grill to do my first redhead, making it as absolutely close to original as possible and using a regular-size frame. On the extended frame, I plan to take some liberties and am working on some more creative ideas to make my own custom "Chicago" grill. Don't worry, it will still be mostly Weber, just with a few adaptations including some newer Weber parts and some of my own ideas. One you can see above is to use a Weber logo painted in the Weber colors.

In the first Skyline picture you may have noticed a vintage 2001 Weber "Grill Out" handle with built-in lights. I have been saving this old gem I picked up a few years ago at our Thrift Store. It is a classic that was designed for the original Genesis grills, and now I finally have a great use for it!

I will post a separate thread with more detail about the handle and about my restoration when I have made enough progress on my Chicago Skyline grill to have something more to show.

Last edited:

Back