new build - fan not working - any way to test it?

Andrew Flusche

TVWBB Member
Hi everyone,

I bought two assembled HeaterMeter 4.3s from the store. One whole setup is up and working perfectly. But I can't get the second fan to work. The HeaterMeter runs the 1st fan just fine, so I know Bryan sold me a good HeaterMeter. :) I just can't get the 2nd fan to run at all.

Is there any way to troubleshoot or test the fan itself? I may have a bad fan, or maybe there's a loose connection inside the fan itself. I can't figure out how to open it.

This is a Delta 50mm 6.7 cfm fan that came with the HeaterMeters.

Thanks!
Andrew

I'd start with the Q1 mosfet. Make sure it's installed in the correct orientation. You can also try changing the blower output from voltage to pulse mode.

I'd also try swapping the fans between the HM units just to make sure you don't have a bad fan.

Take some high res pics and post them for others to look at.

I'd also try swapping the fans between the HM units just to make sure you don't have a bad fan.

Thanks! That's what I was trying to say in my original post. :)

I tried both fans with the same HM unit. One fan works as expected. The other fan does nothing, even with the HM showing 100% fan output. The HM works like a charm.

Is there some way to test the actual fan or open it up and check that the wires haven't worked loose or something?

The fans are 12v fans, so you should be able to hook just about any DC power source that's ~12v or less to it, such as a 12v, 9v or 6v battery.

The fans are 12v fans, so you should be able to hook just about any DC power source that's ~12v or less to it, such as a 12v, 9v or 6v battery.

Now I feel stupid. 9v battery was of course a great idea to quickly test the fan!

It works fine. Which must mean the problem is in my cat-5 cable. I'll swap that out with another one tomorrow, and I should be smokin'

My new build has a non working fan as well. I checked and have 12v to the fan from the heatermeter. I'm guessing a bad fan as well?

My new build has a non working fan as well. I checked and have 12v to the fan from the heatermeter. I'm guessing a bad fan as well?

Never mind. I realized I had made a bad RJ-45 connector crimp at the heatermeter end. :( But working now! :)
One thing I noticed was when the heatermeter turned on just testing in the house, the servo snaps open almost to the most wide position. That is, not quite completely open, but almost. Guess that is good enough? A trial cook tomorrow after work!! Yeah!!

Probably not good enough on the servo. You need to calibrate the servo by setting the Servo Pulse Duration numbers in the HM config so it opens and closes fully.

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering if I could just remove the top and re-position it on the servo gear splines? It looks like it is moving plenty, it goes past the "open" position. Not sure what it does on the closed position.

The HM cannot automatically set the SPD settings for your servo, and each servo's a bit different, so it is likely not set correctly unless you or someone else set them specifically. With "fully open at" set to 100%, when the HM output is 0% the servo damper should be completely closed, when at 100% it should be fully open.

Okay, thanks, I may try to move the servo arm on the gear a tooth and see what happens, if it doesn't close fully then I may tinker with the Servo Pulse Durations. Maybe I can find the settings and figure out how to configure. :confused:

Yes, that did the trick, no need to remove damper wheel. Cooking a chicken now. I'm completely amazed at what the Heatermeter is capable of. My old grill thermometer was almost 80° off. My hat is totally off to Brian for the work he has put into this useful device. :wsm:

Back