Soon-to-be new (ok used) SUmmit S670 NG owner...questions

RSMBobH

Replacing my finally dying 18yo Ducane USA SS grill which has served me well.

I've been on the craigslist prowl for a Summit S-470 and came close several times. However, yesterday I scored on the big one, a S-670. Just got a find a way to pick it up and get it home. The ironic thing is that the CL ad was be someone who lives 30+ miles away...but his wife works at our church so we already know them! He gave me a ridiculous friends and family discount and so I told him I was going to make an additional donation to our church (which I have done!).

Moving it is going to be a you know what...need to find a guy with a pickup truck to help me out.
Q: Are the side shelves easily removable and anything special I need to do with the rotisserie at left and burner at right?
Q: Any advice getting it through a 30" doorway and gate?

This is a 2009 model I believe, rarely used other than to do some Thanksgiving turkeys and rare other stuff. Probably 50 uses max and they never used the smoker box or rotisserie once.
Q: Did Weber make any changes through the years with the S-670 NG model and if so, what were the changes?

The grill is huge and beautiful, and I am excited (and nervous) to get it home and start grilling!

If the grill "head" can be removed easily that would be a HUGE help to you. As for changes I don't think the current generation of Summits has gone through any true changes other than maybe little styling changes

Actually, they transport quite easily. My current restore I used a 6x4 box trailer, and managed on my own.

They wheel and fit fine through a standard doorway.

To transport, take out the grill grates, vaporiser bars, fat catcher (actually the first thing to remove- I once moved one that was full of fatty, rank water- slopped everywhere- never again).

Take the lid off.Remove the side burner hardware.(Trivet, burner) Check for, and remove any roti hardware in the storage cabinet.

The side tables do come off, but just as easy to transport with them on.

If on your own, lift one end up on to trailer, steady, step down, lift other end up, wheel on to trailer. Easy as,if you have taken all the weight out. The SS used is pretty skinny.

If using a trailer, strap down well, back facing forward, strap doors, side burner lid and roti 'hatch'. Transport upright, lock wheels.

Big unit, enjoy!

Well, Sunday was an adventure but we made it home with the S-670. Quick hook up Mon night so I could do some steaks before it got too late after work. Yum!
Really surprised (happy) how hot it got with the center sear station. Grill marks!
Really need to figure out a few things on the operation of the grill...rotis and side burners don't want to light. Some of the main burners were iffy but all light manually.
Grill lights were nice but not bright enough.
I do notice when heated up the corners of the handle get pretty hot.

What does that black button above the rotis burner knob do? That might be broken. Also the latch for the pop up rotis popped out but it looks like it might just snap back in. Exterior is in pristine shiny condition...interior shows some use but man, this is a LOT of grill.

If you can get the Roti burner sparking and lighting, you have to keep it sparking for a little bit so it heats up and the safety valve does not cut the gas off.

Side burner should just work if sparking etc.

Last edited:

Back