Andouille Sausage Making

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Hall of Fame

I decided to make some andouille sausage because the brand I like is no longer available around here

fG32CUdh.jpg

I rounded up the usual suspects.

Ix9CAvih.jpg

Cubed up some pork butt and some rib trimmings. I also used some loin fat that I got from my butcher.

LBq5RgYh.jpg

This is my worksheet. I went a little overboard on the thyme. The recipe called for 0.2% and I inexplicably used .25%.
When I taste tested it, the thyme was pretty strong. Hopefully freezing the sausage mellows it out. I would also
probably bump up the cayenne on my next batch.

jwd2hEsh.jpg

I used the bigger die on the kitchenaid grinder attachment.

nlXAmIQh.jpg

Ground meat.

aP88hMph.jpg

My snake for the WSM. I should have made it about 8 briqs longer. I had to add some charcoal at the end. I used pecan chunks as is traditional for andouille.

aZVOjI8h.jpg

Casing ready to go. I added 10% water and hand mixed the ground sausage until tacky.

Q1uxNkoh.jpg

Hanging sausage.

AxG7COAh.jpg

I cooked the sausage to 153. I ran the wsm for about 4 or 5 hours at 150 and then bumped to 180 to finish.

l44ILRfh.jpg

I gave the sausage a water bath and packaged it. I plan on using this for some chicken andouille gumbo. Next weekend I'll probably make a few batches of chicken stock.

That looks great, I keep saying I'm going to make some sausage or at least try. Never get around to it though.

Looks fantastic Dustin. What's the last item in your list (can't read it).

Rich, you don't have to use cure to make fresh sausage if that's what's holding you back (doubt it but never know) or stuffing.

Just make your sausage meat as per "any" recipe, form the mixed meat into patties, fry them up (my hamburger size patties I fry about 3.5 to 4 min per side. Check the first one to make sure it's not pink inside (you know how to check them, right ;) ). Let them cool and freeze them on a cookie sheet. Once frozen remove from sheet and put in freezer bag. They won't stick to each once frozen and you've got instant sausages any time you want.

Just nuke 'em for a minute and you're good to go. They won't be smoked or have the "sausage" appearance but my oh my, they taste great.

It's File' (pronounced Fee-lay) I used a different recipe last time that was too hot. I thought it was the cayenne doing it but it must have been the ancho chile powder. I used more cayenne this time but it's not quite spicy enough. This turned out really good. The added fat make a big difference

I love Andouille Sausage and you're looks so good Dustin. Nice smoke for sure. I used the last of mine the last time I made pizza. About ready to roll it out again.

Dustin, I had saved this recipe (haven't tried it yet) that uses 2t of cayenne which is about 3.5 gm to 5 lb of meat. No other "hot" spices. Maybe an alternative for you.

No "Filé" either: uses powdered milk as a binder instead.

https://honest-food.net/andouille-sausage-cajun-style/

Thanks for the recipe! That is one I looked at. The File also adds some flavor and is something I have on hand. I usually add it to my gumbo at the very end of the cook. Here's the recipe that I based mine on:

http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-recipes/andouille
I substituted powdered garlic and added some onion powder, some paprika and the file. (I can't figure out how to put the little symbol over the e). I lowered the cayenne pretty drastically and then wished I hadn't. I should have put closer to 8 grams based on the original recipe. It's too late now but I'll just add more to my gumbo. No big deal.

I'd add red wine (NOT SWILL but a nice dinner wine--something dry) instead of water. Can never get enough flavour ;)

That looks awesome!

I've only made andouille once, but it turned out great. I started with one of Len Poli's recipes, then slightly modified it and it was delicious. Next time around I will get a little more adventurous with the spices, maybe grind my own chili powder from dried peppers. I've also found that with cured sausage, I like it better if I use lean pork (usually loin) and then around 30% of the pork weight in coarsely ground pork fat. After smoking and cooling, you still have the nice white bits of fat throughout the sausage.

I just mixed up a batch of Cajun sausage. Was going to get Andouille. Added cure, some liquid smoke and set over night. Getting my new stuffer as I type this.

Question. After smoked, can you put on grill? Or is this only for dishes? Do you have to let this settle/meld for better flavor ?? Going to freeze like you did. Hopefully all Ruth's out. I'm excited

I just mixed up a batch of Cajun sausage. Was going to get Andouille. Added cure, some liquid smoke and set over night. Getting my new stuffer as I type this.

Question. After smoked, can you put on grill? Or is this only for dishes? Do you have to let this settle/meld for better flavor ?? Going to freeze like you did. Hopefully all Ruth's out. I'm excited

I intend to use this only for dishes but there's no reason you can't put it on the grill.

Tasty looking Andouille! I have all the seasonings mixed up and ready to go for a ten pound batch. I just need to grind some pork and stuff.

That looks great, I keep saying I'm going to make some sausage or at least try. Never get around to it though.

I still need to get the equipment to make this.......

Looks fantastic Dustin. <snip>

Just make your sausage meat as per "any" recipe, form the mixed meat into patties, fry them up (my hamburger size patties I fry about 3.5 to 4 min per side. Check the first one to make sure it's not pink inside (you know how to check them, right ;) ). Let them cool and freeze them on a cookie sheet. Once frozen remove from sheet and put in freezer bag. They won't stick to each once frozen and you've got instant sausages any time you want.

Just nuke 'em for a minute and you're good to go. They won't be smoked or have the "sausage" appearance but my oh my, they taste great.

I'd add red wine (NOT SWILL but a nice dinner wine--something dry) instead of water. Can never get enough flavour ;)

sounds like a great change, from my limited experience (2-3 times eating) with Andouille sausage.

Back