My First Charcuterie Double Play

Matthew

TVWBB Pro
Bacon Sunday.... Summer Sausage Tuesday..

Bacon is on Day #7 of 10 in the fridge.. All good, not really lots of liquid in ziplock... Cold smoke for 3 hours and then heat to internal #152

Summer Sausage will be 75% Deer, 25% Pork Butt Using a 80% Cure 1 and 20% MTQ,. I got all but the hog clips... If I can't get any, I have twine.. using a press stuffer... adding beer instead of water for curing and seasoning.. Mix Sunday Night, Stuff Monday and Smoke Tuesday.. 1-2 hrs Cold smoke, hr 3 will be mid 160 final hour or temp is 155, at 180-200.. Shower tubes, chill vacuum seal remaining tubes and freeze...

Good Plan? Any suggestions or concerns?

Bacon Sunday.... Summer Sausage Tuesday..

Bacon is on Day #7 of 10 in the fridge.. All good, not really lots of liquid in ziplock... Cold smoke for 3 hours and then heat to internal #152

Summer Sausage will be 75% Deer, 25% Pork Butt Using a 80% Cure 1 and 20% MTQ,. I got all but the hog clips... If I can't get any, I have twine.. using a press stuffer... adding beer instead of water for curing and seasoning.. Mix Sunday Night, Stuff Monday and Smoke Tuesday.. 1-2 hrs Cold smoke, hr 3 will be mid 160 final hour or temp is 155, at 180-200.. Shower tubes, chill vacuum seal remaining tubes and freeze...

Good Plan? Any suggestions or concerns?

I'm curious as to why you would used both Cure 1 and MTQ. I google the seasoning you are using and the recipe calls for cure#1. I would just stick with the cure#1 that it calls for.

https://aclegg.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Blend-114-Old-Plantation-Summer-Sausage-Seasoning.pdf

This is of course for 25 lbs of meat.

I was hoping for a more salt addition but not all MTQ addition. If that calls for all pin, I'll stick to that.

It's been many years since I've made summer sausage, I used MTQ only for the cure.
I agree with Dustin, you can't just swap out different types on a percentage basis.

Do I add the cure and seasoning at the same time? Then I am going letbit sit over night and stuff tomorrow .

My first smoke pic..
g20HhOy.jpg

My meat. 10 lbs each, I will mix in batches of 2.5 lbs and each baggie representing 5 lbs of meat, with a teaspoon of cure...

S3qGUl9.jpg

Got around 25-26 lbs of finished Venison Sausage made. (with Beer and seasoning and cure per 5 lbs) . The one donor of sausage said his pound packages were not all a pound, some or most were more.. I was getting scared..I am not accustomed to this..I would say I feel safe in my measurements I used 4.5 teaspoons and 4.5 servings of seasonings and 4.5 beers, I drank the rest of the 5th one for the total amount.. 7 lbs of it, I diced jalapeno and habanero and added high temp cheese..

Never thought that the beer would add weight. I put in 5 lb batches. Got 6 out. Then my buddy had prolly 1.5-1-75 lb packages and that messed with me. I'm sure a 1/4 tsp of cure won't hurt but I did try to get as close as I could.

I guess I'm confused as to how you think you are off. If it's a 1/4 teaspoon total over the whole 25 lbs I wouldn't sweat it or if it's just because you didn't account for the weight of the beer. That won't matter. The recommended amount of cure is a FDA maximum. Being under slightly is better than being over. What's the minimum? No idea.

I would guess I had 23 lbs of total raw ground meat. I used the first 4 batches 5 pounds at a time. Equal cure/seasoning/beer. Last 2.5-3 pounds I used half of each. Better?

I get the better to have less than more. I wonder what the odds are if half the cure added is. Well that makes me feel better. 23 net weight sausage. 26 gross weight (after beer) 4.5 teaspoon of cure.

How long is it recommended that you leave in the fridge before freezing to get that cure taste out, I have noticed less and less from the one stick that i have cut... It has been a week now...

Back