DIY grill cart for charcoal kettle

MattWHamilton

I made a grill station for my old kettle this summer and thought I'd share the process.
cart-photo.jpg

I switched the old ash pan for a OTG ash catcher and went from there. You can see more photos from the build process here: http://www.matt-hamilton.com/grill-cart/

I did relocate it from the deck to a concrete patio for some additional peace of mind. I've been happy with it so far; it's nice to have some extra work space!

Boy, I will second the value of extra workspace! There is never enough, no matter how much you have. It’s the vacuum of nature thing. I keep trying to claim more real estate for outdoor kitchen and my wife keeps putting more plants in the way!
I’m not really complaining the plants that are really in the “traffic pattern” are herbs which I put there!
I will have to re engineer the space next spring, I’ve added the WSM to the mix. I did double the patio area two weeks after I got the smoker but, better use of the space is always high on the list.

Matt your design and craftsmanship are excellent. I like seeing the Kreg jig put to good use, and you hid the pockets nicely on the final product.

My only concern for doing this is the proximity of the cedar to the kettle. If you got the kettle good and hot, I think you could char the cedar or worse, set it ablaze. I have heated my kettle while cooking steaks to the point where I melted the thermoplastic roller/spool on the lid bale. That is likely enough heat to burn something as soft as cedar. I like your idea of using 8 conduit hangers. I think that for safety's sake, there could be more air gap between kettle and cedar and/or some sort of thermal protection, like a BGE gasket or ceramic tiles, around the inside of the ring you cut out. Doing so would mean those conduit hangers would have to be longer, so I would think that means more than 8 would be necessary.

I don't have THE perfect answer. Every mounting idea is somewhat of a compromise. I don't like the idea of drilling through the kettle bottom for a hanging flange the way Performers are factory welded. I have made a table myself, and it is not nearly as good looking as yours. My solution was to hang the kettle from chains that are bolted into the table top. The chains attach at the 3 leg flanges, so they form somewhat of a swing. The kettle is supported by its leg flanges. I have turnbuckles in the chains so that I can have some sort of adjustment on how the kettle hangs. This was my own idea. I should figure out how to post pics of my monstrocity.

I don't think I would do it this way again. Next time I would build a shelf under the kettle and cut down the legs so that they extend only a couple of inches below the ash bucket, and then let the kettle just sit on the shelf. I am 6'4" so any table I build is going to be taller than a standard counter height. This should allow a little storage room under the kettle holding shelf.

I thought I started a thread a couple of years ago about sharing ideas on mounting kettles to tables. I don't know why that didn't catch on.

Last edited:
I think that for safety's sake, there could be more air gap between kettle and cedar and/or some sort of thermal protection, like a BGE gasket or ceramic tiles, around the inside of the ring you cut out. Doing so would mean those conduit hangers would have to be longer, so I would think that means more than 8 would be necessary.

Thanks for the nice words Darrel. I agree that heat on the wood is the biggest concern, from the kettle wall as well as errant sparks. I was more unsure of the mounting technique than any of the other build considerations.

I've been happy with the results so far but will look for charring or other signs of trouble down the line. If need be I'll probably take your suggestion of adding a fire rope around the lip and/or just widening the opening to make a wider air gap.

I'd love to see those pics of your cart!

I used,”L” brackets on the 18 in my avatar, the steel edge sits very comfortably in the rolled edge on the kettle, it also raises the lid above the surface. Just an observation.

Funny, I've been pondering doing just this...get a master-touch and toss out the legs, build a cart.

I had been thinking of welding something out of metal, and use some decent casters, but wood might be easier for me. I need to ponder. I am not sure if I will end up with a Performer Deluxe, or if I will build my own, but I will get another Kettle soon, trying to sort it out. I like your solution Matt, thanks for sharing! Much better than what is available though, and I love wood, that looks like a piece of furniture. :)

I might even go $200 but, $550 is pretty dear, I’m not so sure about having it painted. I don’t mind the design but, it’s not particularly my “style”. I wish him well.

Last edited:

Back