Outside Winter Storage

Jim Swist

Bought my Spirit early Spring this year (2017) 3 burner, stainless grates and flavorizer bars. I have the serious cover which goes to the floor and has straps to cinch it up at the bottom.

It is heavy and is on a deck with not easy access. I actually put it together out there. If I were to get it off for Winter storage it would go into an unheated garage. I'm wondering if there is a downside to leaving it outside - the relative humidity won't be much different from the garage and the temperature could go pretty low both places (I'm in Maine) - certainly consistently below freezing. And snow/ice could pile up on top of the cover - this latter consideration seems to be the only significant difference from porch to garage.

Any opinions. It cost enough and I'll move it if I have to.

I really don't see any advantage to moving it to the garage if it's a hassle. If snow piles up on it brush it off. It should be fine.

Yah, I'm going to keep my Genesis 1000 in the garage for the winter so I can use it all winter. But the other 6 or 7 that I have for parts and rehab projects will need to find a home outside for the winter as it is just too cold to be working on them in the winter. I am thinking I will put them all out on my utility trailer and put a tarp over them until spring. Probably move the trailer out to my backyard then too.

I have an oversized double garage attached to the house and a single garage out at the back of 2 acres.

I get some pretty big snows drifts (2-3') around the house and high winds so I bring EVERYTHING inside until I want to use it.

I think you would likely save some wear and tear to the grill by bringing it in for the winter.

Back