Brisket from Wednesday

James Kim

I smoked a 11.2 lb Sterling Silver AAA beef brisket on the 22" WSM late Tuesday night for supper on Wednesday. There's a local high end grocery in my neighbourhood that sells whole briskets for very reasonable prices, and they're starting to get to know me there. The brisket was in at midnight and smoked for almost 16.5 hours at 240-250F, with a 4 hour stall (I track temperature vs time on a spreadsheet). I use Royal Oak charcoal, and sprinkled some Royal Oak lump on top. The chunks are white oak.

Anyway, I used half Kosher salt, half coarse ground pepper (Central Texas style), and placed it in fat side down. Overnight temperatures were at around 0C (32F), but thankfully no wind. Close to the end of the stall, I wrapped it with 3 sheets of parchment paper (don't have butcher paper, but this seems to work well). This brisket came out soft, tender, juicy, with a sticky, rendered fat cap. I usually wait until the temperature reaches 203F, but at 199F, my probe went in like butter. The flat was excellent, and the point was melt-in-your-mouth goodness. I have to thank this forum for the recommendation to smoke it fat side down. You've made me a believer!

Here's a pic of how I arranged the charcoal for the overnight portion:

Finished brisket, rested and ready to be sliced:

The point:

The bend test:

Welcome to the forum James. Man you did one awesome job on that brisket, it looks delicious and the smoke ring is spot on.

Yep! Looks like dinner to me! If I wasn’t going to be away, I’d be really fired up to make one!
Heck, I don’t leave for a couple of days.....

James, you absolutely nailed that brisket cook. That's as nice as I've seen in a while. The bark looks fabulous. Like your set up for the overnight cook. Like an extremely large snake set up. I'll call it the Python. :)

Great looking brisket James. Mind sharing the name of the grocery store ? :D

Hi Mark, it is Bite Groceteria in Inglewood. If you call ahead of time, they can order whole briskets in for you if they don't have any in stock. Their prices change, depending on shipments, so it's always good to call. Also, Master Meats is always worth a call, as they have AAA and even Wagyu beef. I've done a Wagyu brisket from Brant Lake Farms, which Master Meats also sells, and it was awesome, but a little more money.

I’m with you Cliff, I’m thinking about setting up a “Python”, (maybe “Anaconda”?) for my next smoke! I like the “sidewinder”a lot but, this seems like a stroke of lightning! I’m definitely going to try it soon!

Thanks guys. I've used the minion method many times, but I've found that this modified snake method holds a consistent temperature overnight better up here in Calgary with the random winds and cool temperatures that come through. Also, I can space out the oak chunks to ensure a good distribution of oak smoke over a long period of time.

Sure, we can call it the Python Method, haha.

Weather can fight me here in Kalamazoo too! It will be fun the “anthracite black snake” performs. That was what made me think “Anaconda”.
Two weeks and I’m on it!
Will be away with only a gasser at my sisters,for a stretch.

James

Beautiful looking brisket, and the Python method could really catch on..... = Trade mark it eh..;)

Jame's that's a beautiful looking brisket. It looks perfectly done on all accounts! Congrats!!

Daum

Back