Why do they show up so far away?!

I have access to a blue one that a guy is willing to give it away for next to nothing but I don't really care for the looks of the Genesis Golds. This one also has the side burner.

So check this out https://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/hsh/d/weber-genesis-gold-gas-grill/6353514523.html I'd be all over this like white on rice but it's like 130 miles each way in heavy Chicagoland traffic. Can't justify it :(

Come on Larry I drove 500 miles RT to get a red head 1000 that needed more work than the interstate system. Then a 200 mile RT to get a donor grill so I could get the red head completed.:) Where's that sense of adventure, make a mini vacation out of it, lots of things to see and do in Chicago.

Come on Larry I drove 500 miles RT to get a red head 1000 that needed more work than the interstate system. Then a 200 mile RT to get a donor grill so I could get the red head completed.:) Where's that sense of adventure, make a mini vacation out of it, lots of things to see and do in Chicago.

I dunno Rick....I've been through the windy many times and driving around that area is not for the faint of heart :) more of a test...

I dunno Rick....I've been through the windy many times and driving around that area is not for the faint of heart :) more of a test...

Bob, I spent 36 years driving the Los Angeles freeways and city traffic, nothing scares me. Even at midnight the traffic is bumper to bumper and going 80 mph on those freeways. Buckle up and hang on;)

LOL but a grill does not mean that much to me. I know all about Chicago BTW. I grew up in the city, have lived in the burbs and the city both. Still know the city of Chicago better than where I have been living out here where Moses lost his sandals. It's not just the "miles" it's the traffic and the hours I would have to spend fighting it. I'm over it. It's not my circus or my monkey any more. I'll pass LOL

LOL but a grill does not mean that much to me. I know all about Chicago BTW. I grew up in the city, have lived in the burbs and the city both. Still know the city of Chicago better than where I have been living out here where Moses lost his sandals. It's not just the "miles" it's the traffic and the hours I would have to spend fighting it. I'm over it. It's not my circus or my monkey any more. I'll pass LOL

I understand. By the way I grew up in the Chicago area and spent a lot of time in the city itself so I'm quite familiar with it.

What I didn't say was the red head was in Las Vegas, we were going to spend a couple days and see a show or two so the trip wasn't just for the grill. When we picked up the grill we heard on the radio about a bad wildfire about 3-4 miles from our home and that sent us on the return trip immediately needless to say one very long day.

I guess that really would be. If the thing was north (say up in Bruce's territory) yeah I'd be on it (though I doubt I would have beat Bruce to it LOL) but heck yeah I'd grab it for a nice drive in WI. I went nearly that far for my snow blower so you KNOW I'd make the trek for a grill. (hate snow love grills)

Bob, I spent 36 years driving the Los Angeles freeways and city traffic, nothing scares me. Even at midnight the traffic is bumper to bumper and going 80 mph on those freeways. Buckle up and hang on;)

I drove on the Autobahn for 9 years plus 3-4 vacations to Germany (top speed 155 mph...2006 Audi A5 Turbo Diesel). But you'd have to pay me to go to Chicago.

I live in a village of just over 900 people, although the sign says 1,000. I just don't care for many of the large U.S. cities that much anymore. I can understand not wanting to drive there.

Last edited:
Yah, Larry, seems a mass exodus of Illinois cars streaming up I39/90/94 every friday afternoon in the summer. Then back south sunday evenings. It's crazy.

I won't drive more than an hour for a gill. The only one I would drive further for is a nice Blue Head. I have only seen one of those advertised anywhere near me. Seems like they are more plentiful outside the midwest.

MapQuest says it's only 90 miles... :rolleyes:

I've tried using MQ's estimates and found them FOS (full of excrement). I have done that drive and know it's in excess of 100 looooong haaaard miles of Chicago and Suburban traffic. Between wear and tear on my car, my nerves and all the gas it's not worth it (even if it was free) to me

All the grills I have gotten came out of the DC area. About a 160 round trip for me but the selection is good. Traffic not so much. Grew up there and it was not like it is now...insane :) bumper to bumper anytime of day or night anymore, but $20-$30 for a decent grill to restore makes it worth while

Last edited:
Yah, the condition of the grill, the model of the grill and everything is taken into account for selecting grills to drive distances for. Just weight the price and hassle of getting the grill with what you are actually getting. A free two burner a mile down the road is probably going to be more desirable than driving 80 miles for a same condition Silver B. But a Gold C with a blue hood and new SS Flavo Bars and cooking grates 100 miles away for $100 might be worth the drive and dodging stray gunfire in the city. As long as none of the bullets hit the blue lid, you are good to go.

I've tried using MQ's estimates and found them FOS (full of excrement). I have done that drive and know it's in excess of 100 looooong haaaard miles of Chicago and Suburban traffic. Between wear and tear on my car, my nerves and all the gas it's not worth it (even if it was free) to me

I understand that...not worth the drive and hassle part.

I'm 30 miles from Moline. The sign near the I74/280 & I80 intersection posts Chicago as 150 miles. I'm 15 miles closer to Chicago than the sign. MapQuest has me at 146 miles from Chicago.

I tried contacting the seller, no luck, so it must be gone cause he deleted the post. Crest Hill is not far down 30 for me and that was a great price.

Tim

Back