Doing a summer sausage soon

Matthew

TVWBB Pro
I have MTQ. Is there a difference in quality or taste between using this or the Pink? 1 tsp to 5 lbs (pink) vs 1 tbsp to 1 pound (MTQ). Is the MTQ result in a saltier taste?

I think I found my answer... adding the correct amount of MTQ to summer sausage, would result in a VERY SALTY Log...

I usually aim for a salt content of 1.5 to 1.67% in my sausage. You probably just need to cut the other salt you planned to use in some way. Also MTQ has sugar in it so that will influence your taste. Some sugar is needed for bacteria to convert nitrate into nitrite. If you are just going the cure#1 route it's purely for taste.

The seasoning pack I am using is A.C. Legg 114 I am thinking it does have sugar in it.. Maybe I might add a few table spoons of MTQ and cut the Cure #1 down a pinch

I'm planning on making some andouille this weekend. I haven't quite nailed down the recipe. I posted a cook a while back, but I think this time I'm going to make it a bit simpler and I'm going to add some pork fat that I got from the butcher.

The seasoning pack I am using is A.C. Legg 114 I am thinking it does have sugar in it.. Maybe I might add a few table spoons of MTQ and cut the Cure #1 down a pinch
You can't be serious! You can't just "add some" and "cut down a pinch".

You use the wrong amounts of cure and it'll kill you---too much cure will kill you and too little and the meat will kill you (because it was cooked incorrectly). Until you know exactly how much to use, don't use any recipe that calls for it till you educate yourself.

Sorry if I sound dictatorial but cure is not something you screw around the measurements with.

Last edited:
You can't be serious! You can't just "add some" and "cut down a pinch".

You use the wrong amounts of cure and it'll kill you---too much cure will kill you and too little and the meat will kill you (because it was cooked incorrectly). Until you know exactly how much to use, don't use any recipe that calls for it till you educate yourself.

Sorry if I sound dictatorial but cure is not something you screw around the measurements with.

Little harsh. But was thinking of nitrate levels. If one is 6.25 per tablespoon, the other is .5 per tablespoon I'm not a rocket scientist, but just over 12 tbsp of MTQ. But I get your point.

All I can do is measure all the meat. Grind. Add propper cure to batch.

It sounds like you understand what you are doing but you can see how people would be concerned. People have made very bad mistakes substituting. It sounds like you are trying to cut some salt and sugar? Any time you have to do calculations there's a chance of error. There's a lot of decimal places involved and you don't want to be off by decimal places. I prefer just using cure #1 although if I ever get around to making bacon I'll probably use Bob's MTQ method.

It sounds like you understand what you are doing but you can see how people would be concerned. People have made very bad mistakes substituting. It sounds like you are trying to cut some salt and sugar? Any time you have to do calculations there's a chance of error. There's a lot of decimal places involved and you don't want to be off by decimal places. I prefer just using cure #1 although if I ever get around to making bacon I'll probably use Bob's MTQ method.

It looks like I'll have 20 lbs. my seasoning is for 25lbs. The cure I have is 6.22%. It has no instructions. I'll see about the website. is there a calculator for cures? .

A teaspoon of cure#1 per 5 pounds is a good rule of thumb. I typically measure in metric and use a very accurate digital scale. I use 0.25% of the weight of my meat and fat. The teaspoon per 5 pounds should work for you.

Last edited:
A teaspoon of cure#1 per 5 pounds is a good rule of thumb. I typically measure in metric and use a very accurate digital scale. I use 0.25% of the weight of my meat and fat. The teaspoon per 5 pounds should work for you.

I figured, .77 ounce or 22 grams, I will see how many teaspoons this makes... Thanks.

Back