What's in your Grilling/Smoking Library?

Bill Elwell

TVWBB Pro
Here's what I have in my Grilling/Smoking library:

1. The Gas Grill Gourmet (A. Cort Sinnes, 1996)
2. The BBQ Bible (Steven Raichlen, 1998)
3. Grilling Collection (3 Cookbooks in 1): Kingsford Great BBQs; Salads, Sides & More; Easy Grilling (2001)
4. Kingsford Complete Grilling Cookbook (Rick Rodgers, 2007)
5. Weber’s Real Grilling (Jamie Purviance, 2005)

Added today:

6. Weber’s Way To Grill (Jamie Purviance, 2008)

I've picked these up over the years at the "local" Good Will (8 miles away) for $1.88 each.

In this electronic age my library consists of print books and electronic sources of information. My go to reference is listed first but I do read the print books on occasion.

The Virtual Weber Bullet - Chris Allingham
TVWBB - various authors
The Science of Great Barbecue and Grilling - Meathead Goldwyn
Weber's Charcoal Grilling - Jamie Purviance
Championship Barbecue -Paul Kirks
Smoke and Spice - Cheryl and Bill Jamiswon
Techniques for Smoking - Ardie Davis
Rotisserie Grilling - Mike Vrobel
Dr. BBQ's Big Time Barbecue Cookbook - Ray Lampe
The Barbecue Bible and 3 others by Steven Raichlen

Last edited:
In this electronic age my library consists of print books and electronic sources of information. My go to reference is listed first but I do read the print books on occasion.

Smoke and Spice Techniques for Smoking - Ardie Davis

I agree, there is a ton of info on the web (too much at times), but reading a book every once in a while has a more calming effect.

I'll have to check into the book I left in your quote. Thanks for the lead.

Bill

I have all of the Jamie Purviance Weber books except his latest one and 15 other books on smoking and grilling with various authors. I also hit the thrift shops for cook books of all types, some great deals can be found.

I have all of the Jamie Purviance Weber books except his latest one and 15 other books on smoking and grilling with various authors. I also hit the thrift shops for cook books of all types, some great deals can be found.

I've been finding some good stuff lately.

I'm starting to think this Jamie guy "might know a thing or to 'bout BBQ".;)

I just finished Aaron Franklin's book, and thoroughly enjoyed it. He gives much to think about.

I have an oldie, Cooking with Fire and Smoke, by Phillip Stephen Schulz, that I bought in 1982. Along with a Brinkman smoker and I had no idea what to do with the smoker or the book, my early attempts at cue failed.

Then a couple of Raichlen books, which haven't helped much , honestly. He's a bit too fancy for me, I far prefer Franklin's simple approach over Raichlen. Those are ...

" How to Grill "

" Ribs, Ribs, Ribs "

Several years ago I bought " Dr BBQ's Big -Time Barbecue Cookbook " , by Ray Lampe , and honestly, I haven't gotten much from it, or if I did, I've forgotten it :confused:

And I also have " Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book " by Chris Lilly, and I've used this a bunch.

Also have Purviance's " Webers Greatest Hits "

Last edited:
Bill, I edited my post to show the authors of "Smoke and Spice". I hate to admit it but I was too lazy to go check for the authors' names. Sorry bout that.

Last edited:
I just finished Aaron Franklin's book, and thoroughly enjoyed it. He gives much to think about.

I hear you. Getting over those first couple of smokes are filled with anxiety until you learn the what to do's and the what not to do's.

Many of the books either repeat what you already know or, as you said, a "bit too fancy"...for my tastes too.

I'm a picky eater and 90% of the recipes I wouldn't make (let alone eat) on a dare.v

IMO, Franklin's attitude is simple and laid back.

Just ordered a new copy of Weber's Greatest Hits from Amazon (used the link at the top of the page here on the forum) for $11 shipped.

Just ordered a new copy of Weber's Greatest Hits from Amazon (used the link at the top of the page here on the forum) for $11 shipped.

I read through the Weber’s Way To Grill today. Lots of good info that's good for a beginner. Very precise info.

As for the recipes...as mentioned before...a bit too fancy in some ways. Being the picky eater I am, I don't think there was even 1 recipe that I would grill without omitting an item or 2. But I'm OK with that.

Just 2, The Science of BBQ by Meathead, and Weber Charcoal Grilling by Jamie Purviance. I find good thing to make in both.

Back