Weber Platinum Summit conversion?

ChesterVargas

Hello all,
I have a 2005 Weber Summit Platinum D6 NG

I would like to know is there a downside to converting from NG to LP???
Ive read somewhere that if you do so you will have no control of the Flame and it will always be on high?
Is that true?

Also what is involved in doing a proper conversion?
So far what ive looked into it seems i need to swap out the orifice's for smaller hole's for the LP , and need to switch out the regualtor and hose .

Is that all is needed to convert over my grill?

Or should i fork out and buy a whole new Manifold?
An the vavles the same as LP just the orifice hole size is the only difference between manifold's?

Also are the burner's the same for the NG version compared to the LP version?

I appreciate any input
Thanks

Last edited:
In all likelihood your D6 has continuously variable valves (similar to what is on your home gas range) so with a VERY qualified "yes" you can change the orifices and regulator and convert it properly. BUT and a BIG BUT you need to check the main valves to see if they're CVV. Chris had a great write up and video of disassembling a valve for cleaning. You can refer to that. Someone else put up some photos of what the CVV type valves look like internally. Then you have to find a supplier for orifice blanks, have them properly sized, buy an LP regulator assembly and you're golden. Bare in mind though that D6 will suck down gas like crazy. So you'll want to have at least 2 spare tanks always filled. For me? I see no upside to LP (unless it's all you have available) or you are putting the grill in a remote location. The D6 IMO is just too much grill for LP

Thanks for the Reply LMichaels...
Yeah we recently moved out to the country and NG isnt an option so i would love to keep using my D6 as ive also went thru the grill - new burners-igniter kit-Lid and Cookbox and wheels ;)

From what ive read i can also just buy a new LP manifold also if i cant find the orifces

Ill try an remember the site where it was actually selling the orifices drilled and ready to swap out

Also need to check my valves

Thanks

Yes you can just buy the manifold (though you still may need to rejet the side burner and IR burner) but yeah a total manifold swap is an easier solution plus you still have the NG manifold "just in case". Here where we live I can recall recent memory of many places not having NG but then NICOR came in and ran it

ChesterVargas,

I have a 2005 D6 that is LP from the factory and it works great! I use my grill 4 times/week year round and change my tank about every 1.5 months or so? If you do replace your NG manifold and want to sell yours let me know, I may want to buy it. I am going to remodel my patio in the spring and may convert to NG just for convenience.

Good luck!

Thanks CBVickery for the reply....
I was kind of on the fence of switching it over because from what ive read it drinks tanks of LP almost every user would say ,
Then i would find some saying most were probably grilling with Lid up on high and that made sense.
And they would claim that running only burner's that you need as some would have most burners on for no reason.... unless looking for high heat to sear....
Thanks i will let you know if i do plan on selling because i highly doubt i will ever switch it back NG if i do Convert to LP.

Back