Genesis Restoration - Lid?

Ryan Cooper

I'm in the process of restoring my old 2004 Genesis Gold C, I've gotten everything I need except the lid which I see is now discontinued. Problem is, the shroud is two sheets spot welded together, the outer stainless sheet is in perfect condition, the inner sheet is rotted away to almost nothing. I've been doing some research as to what else I could use as a replacement, doesn't have to be the same lid I have now (although it would be nice), as long as it fits. Anyone have any insight as to what other lids interchange with this one? Prefer to keep the thermometer in the center like the original. Thanks!

Just take the liner out. It's only there to keep the stainless from turning blue. Otherwise totally useless

Wouldn't the air gap between the two act as an insulator to help keep heat in as well? I have noticed it takes significantly longer to heat up the more 'rotted' it became.

I'd take the liner out if it's falling apart so that the rusty shards don't fall on your food.

Any other Genesis 3-burner lid from the 90s to ~2005 should fit. Here's my Gold with a 2005 Silver B lid:

35787395656_f66d6b74ce_b.jpg

And here's the same grill with a ~2001 Silver B lid:

35558124490_be42841e60_b.jpg

Wouldn't the air gap between the two act as an insulator to help keep heat in as well? I have noticed it takes significantly longer to heat up the more 'rotted' it became.

Eh, not so much. Only the SS lids have that liner and it really is only there to keep the lower quality stainless from turning color. If it was important for insulating all the grills would have them

Yes, just find another lid.

I turned this:

Into this:

I still have the stainless lid, I just thought the redhead looked better.

I have noticed that the Genesis 300 series from around 2008 to 2011 with a porcelain hood did NOT have an inner shield, but the next generation ones with a porcelain hood DO have an inner shield. My take was that it was at least partly there to mitigate the carbon sheeting that occurs so frequently with plain porcelain hoods. My own later 330 has a black hood with a liner. It deteriorates but it doesn’t get the carbon sheeting. The earler black hoods without the inner shield are very prone to carbon sheeting. Someone I know with a Spirit with a plain porcelain hood complained to Weber about this problem and was told that they had changed their newer grills to prevent carbon buildup. I wonder if the change in the Genesis hoods I noted is related?

Back