Leftover brisket?

D Jennings

TVWBB Fan
I'm planning a 13 lb brisket cook. I would like to freeze about half once done. The plan is too vacuum pack as a whole, not sliced. Thaw and reheat in hot water. Anyone tried this approach?

Leftover brisket? Whats that? Just teasing. Ive frozen part of a flat which was part of a whole packer i smoked, and made chili with it. Or you could drop it in boiling water if you vac seal it, and it should be pretty good.

I have only had enough leftover for two to three sandwiches and a batch of chili.
Nothing sounds bad about your idea, makes sense to me.

I like smaller chunks, just two of us at home, so smaller quantities for a couple of sandwiches or slices for two dinner plates is nice. Also, I can share smaller chunks with family and friends.

I like to thaw in the fridge, slice, and heat gently in the microwave at 20% power. I've also done the hot water reheat thing, it works well, too...easy with small chunks, too.

bwHaigm.jpg

I have to agree. But I've done both chunks and slices with great success. A few weeks ago while rummaging through the freezer, I found a previously missed pack of sliced brisket (after wrapping, double wrap in an air-exhausted freezer bag) from sometime last year. I had doubts, but for a week was able to enjoy some of the best lunchtime brisket sandwiches that I remember. I just let it thaw in the fridge and had cold cut brisket sandwiches.

Then I found the Prime brisket at Costco! Must have been a good omen! :cool:

I like smaller chunks, just two of us at home, so smaller quantities for a couple of sandwiches or slices for two dinner plates is nice. Also, I can share smaller chunks with family and friends.

I like to thaw in the fridge, slice, and heat gently in the microwave at 20% power. I've also done the hot water reheat thing, it works well, too...easy with small chunks, too.
I think this is the way to go. This is what I do with all my leftovers...Portion them out before freezing that way you can take out only what you need...Killer chili, Tomato Sauce with brisket, Baked Brisket Mac and Cheese...brisket pizza..surf and turf paella with shrimp and brisket... In my opinion don't freeze the entire thing as one chunk....

For whatever reasons (bad ones I guess) I had an older hunk of leftover brisket that had probably sat too long in my freezer to think it would be tasty of I heated it up. So I chopped it up real good and made a pot of chili. Man it was some kind of good - I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

I do like Chris does. With just two of us we can take out a chunk at a time and not have to use up a half of brisket.

Back