How Many Grills do you really need?!!!

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I started this from a comment I made on an old thread that I found. I thought it would get more notice if I started fresh:

In the old thread several long-time members mentioned that you can't really have too many grills :eek: Some referred to their accumulation of grills and admitted that, like me, they were still always looking:rolleyes: Long-suffering wives of guys who can't resist yet another Weber renovation project were also mentioned. I can definitely relate to all of that, so it got me to thinking about what grills I would have if space was not an issue and funds & time were adequate to buy and restore. Here's my first try:

:blackkettle:A Weber kettle grill. A version such as the Performer with workshelf is a big plus. (CHECK) - I have to admit that the 26" version sure does look tempting!!!

A Weber Genesis 330 (which includes the 4th "sear" burner). I have noticed that this feature gets mixed reviews, but I really like it myself. Works much better to me if done in the reverse sear order. (CHECK - but needing a rebuild). - I know the new Genesis II grills are made in China and that Weber is going more flash and less and less quality, but I have to admit the 4 burner ones look pretty cool:cool:

A Weber Q 200 series. I never thought I would like these that much until I got mine for ten bucks! The 200 series is a perfect compromise for easy portability (think tailgating, picnics and trips) while still having some decent room to work with.(CHECK) - I have to admit that the larger and not nearly so portable 320 looks really tempting!:D If all you want to do is grill steaks, burgers, chops, etc. rather than BBQ this could be a great alternative to a smaller "regular" grill.

A Weber Genesis 1000 series restored with all wood slats, handle and two fold-down trays! This would be the grill you put front and center on the patio for all to see. It would also be the one to use when you can take time to stand around and enjoy your cooking. Not as big as the newer ones, not as practical as the Silver series with the plastic-type shelves, but OH SO BEAUTIFUL AND TIMELESS! (DON'T HAVE ONE READY YET BUT HAVE A WORTHY CANDIDATE FOR RESTORATION).

A couple more:
An Orion Cooker. I know, I know...it is not a conventional barbecue method but if you need to crank out a half-dozen racks of ribs on the short it IS pretty impressive. It also does a great whole chicken in lightning time. Somewhat of a pain to clean, but made of all stainless and has lasted me for years (CHECK).

Finally, a Rec Tec pellet grill. Never seen one in person but have studied it a lot. The company seems to have an AWESOME reputation for unbeatable service, and I really like how they keep improving their design. I am convinced that Weber will come out with one of these sometime because just like gas grills overtook charcoal it seems to me that pellet grills are the wave of the future. However, Rec Tec still has the family-owned flavor that sadly seems to have pretty much ebbed away at Weber. (DON'T HAVE AND CAN'T AFFORD RIGHT NOW. I WILL KEEP DREAMING;))

So, other than the pellet grill I am pretty close. Didn't mention my Green Egg that someone gave to me. It is EXCEPTIONAL on long cooks, but my so-called "large" isn't all that big - about the size of a 18.5 inch Weber kettle. Nice for just my family, but not adequate for cooking for groups as I am asked to do from time to time. (The Rec Tec pellet grill will allow you to lay SIX racks of ribs all out flat on the single shelf. You can add a second shelf or use rib racks to do a bunch more.) Besides great heat retention, the other great thing about the Egg is that it is SO SIMPLE. The ceramic will last forever and the few metal parts are replaceable. You do have to redo the seals pretty often. So I like it a lot, but I don't think it is all that it is "cracked" up to be:eek:

So there. What would your ideal collection look like?

(I admit that in addition to the above grills that I would claim to actually use, I will probably never be able to resist an old Weber needing a redo. People know I like them so they keep bringing them to me! Besides the old Genesis - and even the Genesis 300 series - I have a soft spot for the really old Summits and I have a dream of taking a Genesis Silver and somehow melding wood shelves with the Silver's more modern features to create a "best of both worlds". That is for another thread someday when I have time...)

I have:

E320 NG
Gas Assist Performer
1999 Genesis 1000 LX (now a 2000)
1995 Genesis 1000 LX
18.5 WSM
Propane Powered Weber 22.5 Kettle Conversion (it's a Weber conversion kit not sold in the USA)
Jumbo Joe
14.5 Mini Smoker

If I had to down size I would like to keep the performer for charcoal cooking, the WSM for smoking, the E320 for our outside summer oven and for winter grilling because it's on the covered patio and NG. In reality I don't need any of them but I enjoy doing different cooks on different grills or smokers.

My signature line shows what Webers I have, and they make up about half of my outdoor cookers. And yes, I Need them all.

Apparently I needed one more. Picked up a Gas Go Anywhere today, it was used once. It also has the wood handles so I'm thinking it's an older version.

That Orion has really piqued my curiosity

You may well have already looked it up, but here is the page about the Orion. If you can look past it being so unconventional, it is a really effective cooker. The charcoal fire never touches the food, so they recommend Match Lite since the lighter fluid smell never effects the food. Inside, there is a drip pan and around the perimeter of it there is about an inch of space that you fill with wood chips. The outside heat gets them smoking and inside a convection effect of steam and smoke cook the food amazingly fast. All stainless. I think it is fairly priced at $179.

https://www.theorioncooker.com/products/the-orion-convection-cooker

I have:
Genesis 1000
Genesis silver A
Weber Q 1000
Smoky joe

I never intended to have two full size gas grills. But there have been several times when I've had both going at once and it came in handy to have both. I plan to keep both.

The weber q is new and a gift from my wife for when we travel. It will take the place of the smoky joe which I'll probably well or give away.

I kind of want an older weber redhead 1000. But not sure what I would do with it?

Greg, regarding the old weber redhead 1000. You could always grill with it. They work really good.;)

The correct answer is... as many as your boss lady allows:

37406404256_267429e6ca_h.jpg

The lids get swapped out every now and then (I have a stainless lid too).

Right now my current fleet (at home) is the giant Wolf 6 burner, my Summit 450, the little Q220 red head, and an old Jumbo Joe charcoal grill. The Genesis III is now residing with my son in law and daughter (was the least I could do for him after getting her outta my hair LOL) though I am on the prowl for more. I have my eyes on a an older Silver A 2 burner for $45 (asking price). Right now since I now have my new deck. I need to redo the gas plumbing (especially for the Wolf's giant appetite). Right now I have an unregulated gas line with 2 small extension lines running across the deck. My plan is to get some 3/4" CSS gas line across the deck and feed it into the high capacity regulator without using small quick connect gas lines (too restrictive for that 80k BTU appetite) :) Then I need to invest in new grill covers for both the Summit and the Wolf. My idea is to have them one on the left side and one on the right side (kinda like dueling gassers). I hope I don't run outta nice weather before I get it all done LOL

A few years ago, I needed all 14, including the ones in the garage and basement. Now, I've settled in and don't have grills or smokers just for the sake of having them. I get by just fine with 5.

Haha. Yeah but it's hard to justify three full size gas grills. The wife would kill me.

I'm really lucky, my wife Barb loves to grill. She uses all of our grills and smokers and is a forum member. So when it comes to having to many grills I don't have a problem. She has helped me restore the 1000 redhead and the spirt e210.
We have a lot of fun doing our cooks as a team.

Back