Chili on the grill

~Mark~

TVWBB Pro
This month's family cooking challenge is Chili, so here's my rendition of Texas Chili
I started by setting my coal baskets 90 degrees to each other to make a nice hot wall.
Then I seared two and a half pounds of pork chops and stew beef.
enhance

Next I added about two tablespoons of olive oil to my one gallon Dutch Oven. I added two large white onions, and a lot of minced garlic. I sauteed this for about three minutes. I then added the pork and beef to the pot.
enhance

Next I added a box of low sodium beef stock, three Jalapeno peppers, and two green peppers. This cooked for an hour with the lid off. I added a hand full of Jack Daniel's oak chips to the coals.
enhance

Here's a picture of our new girl Daisy. She's a four month old Lab Shepherd mix. As you can see she's very interested in grilling.
enhance

After about an hour I added the seasonings to the pot, and gave it a stir. Once again I added a hand full of wood chips and a few more briquets.
enhance

After another hour I added a can of tomato chunks and two small cans of tomato past. This gets a stir and let it go for about a half hour.
enhance

I pulled it off the grill and used a Pampered Chef's meat masher thing that the wife got for me. It worked very well.
I served it with Oyster crackers, Mexican blend cheese and a spoonful of sour cream, along with an ice cold beer.
It just doesn't get any better than that.
enhance

The combination of larger pieces of meat along with the shredded meat gave this a great texture. Keeping the lid off the whole time infused the chili with a nice light smoke flavor that didn't overpower the dish. It was as smooth as the beers that went with it.

That's some good looking chili. Makes me want to get a cast iron pot and grill some up. Nicely done!! Daisy is an absolute cutie!!

I told Daisy she's a hit. As for the chili, with just the two of us in the house now I put the rest into two ziplock bags and tossed them in the freezer for those long work days when you just need chili when you get home.

She's a cutie! I save tons of soups like that - perfect way to save it. That chili looks good.

Back