Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Weber grill....question about sear station and quality

Quote Originally Posted by LMichaels View Post
    Sadly even at that $169 price there most likely was still a huge profit............Thanks to Chinese production. The new stuff is over priced period by a HUGE margin. Also with re to say a Member's Mark product there are different products they sell under that moniker. If you research their upper end product, you'll find about the same overall build and better material quality overall than Weber and a lifetime warranty to boot all for under $500! I'm sorry, $500 for lifetime warranty and pretty much equal build? Compared to $1000 (maybe more) and 10 year (maybe) warranty? Do the math. But yeah if I could snare a new Weber II series for under $200 I'd be jumping all over that like white on rice!
    Yah, I was wondering how much of a profit Walmart and Weber makes on these things. $169 is a steal IMO, $699 is just crazy.

The one I am referring to has a stainless steel fire box. IMO that is fine

The one I am referring to has a stainless steel fire box. IMO that is fine
    I've never seen one in my home state with a stainless firebox? Not doubting you just haven't seen it. But I do wonder if those hold up for decades like the cast aluminum do.

I would think they would. Even lower quality SS will hold up quite well unless it's paper thin but in the case of the unit I saw they claim it's 304SS though I did not test it with a magnet but I did look at the thickness and it was pretty substantial

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Bee View Post
    As long as there is a Walmart that has it for $169 near you then that's good. What you have to do is order it online (have it shipped to the store that has it for $169 per brickseek) for full price, pick it up when it comes in and then do a return/rebuy at the CS desk after you've picked it up. Just tell them you want to use a different credit card when they ask for a reason. When they credit you back you'll get the $699 back on the original credit card you used and when they scan it in store for the rebuy it should ring up at the clearance price of $169. That's how a lot of the folks have done it.
    There were no listings at all anywhere near me. I'd love to have one for $169

Quote Originally Posted by LanceJ View Post
    There were no listings at all anywhere near me. I'd love to have one for $169
    Hmmm...did you try different zip codes near you? Have you tried others? Where in Kentucky are you? I found one using zip code 40509.

http://brickseek.com/walmart-invento...?sku=101944060

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Bee View Post
    Hmmm...did you try different zip codes near you? Have you tried others? Where in Kentucky are you? I found one using zip code 40509.

http://brickseek.com/walmart-invento...?sku=101944060
    That's about an hour and a half from me.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceJ View Post
    That's about an hour and a half from me.
    Looks like that's the only one...is it worth the price? That's totally up to you.

I would think they would. Even lower quality SS will hold up quite well unless it's paper thin but in the case of the unit I saw they claim it's 304SS though I did not test it with a magnet but I did look at the thickness and it was pretty substantial
    I'll disagree about lower quality stainless. The burner covers/flavorizors on my old kenmore were stainless. Probably lower grade. They weren't paper thin but I had to replace them every year. From rust through. I think there is a good reason weber and broil king both use cast aluminium for the firebox on most of their grills.

Cast aluminum is FAR FAR cheaper than stainless. Also you may have been mistaking galvanized for stainless which is easy to do sometimes

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast