Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Weber grill....question about sear station and quality

New Weber grill....question about sear station and quality

I just got rid of a Saber grill that I actually really liked. The only issue was it didn't last more than 5 years. I had a Weber before that and it lasted 10 years or so. Ok enough babbling, my question is about the new Weber grills and sear stations. Did they do away with them? I looked on the website and didn't see them on the new grills. Granted I didn't read everything but I figured I would ask. How do you all go about searing your steaks and such? Second, how is the quality now that they are being built in China? I don't want to spend extra money on a grill that is going to only last a few years now. I know some have 10 year warranty but I don't want to be fixing things all the time. Thank you for reading this and I look forward to your responses.

Whoah, how much did you pay for your Saber and don't they have a warranty greater than 5 years? I wanted to get a Saber but couldn't justify the price. I did get a '17 Genesis II E-310 this past summer for less than $200 brand new (I can show you the receipt) and it cooks very good but not sure how it'll be in the long run. I know Weber makes a searing grate for the Genesis grills and it gets mostly good reviews on Amazon...https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...A9SV3K/tvwb-20. Oh and welcome to the board!

Thanks Sam. I think I paid around 1400 for it. I really liked the grill and their customer service was really good. They sent me out new pieces for most things that rusted. But as I started to go to the trouble of taking it all apart to redo I noticed other areas that weren't 304 stainless starting to go. But I don't think I should have to be rebuilding my grill basically after 5 years. Maybe I'm old fashioned and expecting to much. But if that's the case with today's newer grills I'll stick to the cheaper alternatives.

Wow, I thought those grills were built to last. I'm not sure if you're into it but have you ever thought about rehabbing an old school Weber grill? There are tons of em out there that are either free or really dirt cheap...just check craigslist and you'll see. This is an excellent site for reference on what to do and how to do it. The old school Webers are built to last, just check out some of the threads on this forum.

The Genesis II grills have a new 10 year warranty on virtually all parts, minus exclusions for normal wear & tear, abuse, etc. Since we're only 1 year into the new design, I don't think anyone can tell you how well they're going to hold up. You'll have to rely on past experience and Weber's reputation for customer service when making your decision.

At this time, there are no Genesis II grills with the Sear Station feature. You can still get Sear Station on Summit grills. The Genesis II LX grills have a "High+ Heat Setting" not found on the base Genesis II models. Its function is described in the owners manual as follows:

"All burners can be turned up to the highest setting for an added boost of heat anywhere on the cooking grate. The High+ setting provides a quicker preheat and higher grilling temperatures."

For searing, it's hard to be a good-old cast iron skillet or the Lodge reversible griddle, shown here on my Summit 450:

Thank you Chris. I appreciate the input. I actually like the open cart design. Less things to break and rust out etc. That's where my saber was getting bad also, was inside the storage areas. My old Weber, I can't remember the model, was open underneath and I never wished I had it enclosed that I remember. I think simplicity is better sometimes......maybe most times. Nice video by the way, great crust.
    Last edited by LanceJ; 10-16-2017 at 06:40 AM.

I agree Lance. I rehab Weber grills and every one that had the enclosed storage area had rust and most under 10 years old. Some massive rust. The older Silver B's and 1000's with the open bottom fared much better. Usually just a bit of rust on the left where the frame bolt goes into the cook box and these are as old as 25 years.
    Genesis 1000-Redhead Q100 Q1400

I looked at the E-310 and for $749 (at least thats what I think they were asking, I didn't talk to anyone) I didn't think it was a real good value. They did not have an E-330 to look at. I'm kind of comparing the 310 to the Napoleon 485 LEX which was $899. I've never owned a Napoleon or known anyone that has but people seem to like them. Maybe someone here can chime in, although I know being on a Weber site I may start a war. That's not my intention, just trying to get the most out of my money and something that will hopefully last. The Napoleon had stainless everything and included an infrared side burner. Now the E-330 may be the one to compare to this Napoleon but there wasn't one for me to look at. Does anyone have one and how do you like it? Anyone here compare the Weber and Napoleon before making a decision?

The E330 no longer exists unless you're finding NOS. Like you I am disillusioned by Weber's ongoing cheapening of the product and reduction in quality now being nothing more than a "held" company of Black & Decker management which has become nothing more than a marketing arm of Chinese import products. I know that Napoleon does have some Chinese made lower end stuff (unlike Weber which has gone totally Chinese). Other than that from what I have seen of Napoleon stuff they seem to be top notch, but I have never been able to lay hands on one like I have with the new "Weber" product(s).
    So no wars with me. While I will always love the older TRUE Weber products I cannot wrap my head around spending the $$$$ on their 3rd party ownership and products.
    Especially after being let down so horribly by their warranty I cannot fathom ever again parting with hard earned $$$ on their stuff. Though I will keep my older product(s) going as long as I can

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    I have a 2009 E320 which has the E/W burners which I prefer and it's held up great and is used a lot. The cabinet is like new inside, but then again rust is not allowed in Arizona. As far as the older genesis grills go I have a 1999 1000 LX (now a 2000) I bought new and the only thing I replaced is the flavorizer bars in 18 years. I also have a 1995 1000 LX red head I restored. Both of those are great grills and fit my needs perfectly.
    I just can't justify the high cost of the new Weber's and am somewhat suspicious of the quality.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast