Is it worth rehabbing?

Sam Bee

TVWBB All-Star
Hello all,

I've been finding a lot of Genny 1000s lately on Craigslist (the ones with the 13 flavo bars) but on all of them that I've seen the screws that hold the catch pan have been rusted off so I won't be able to mount a catch pan. I can try to remove the broken screw but depending on how bad the screw is rusted in it may not come out smoothly as I'd like it to and may end up messing up the firebox even more. So I'm wondering if it's worth rehabbing or should I wait until a good one comes along?

You can carefully drill them out, but it takes patience. Depending on the rest of the grill's condition, I wouldn't see that as a deal breaker.

I have twisted them off and redrilled them on three grills so far. That includes my personal genny 1000. What I do is grind off the nub from the twisted off screw so it is flat. Then I center punch the middle of the old screw and try like hell to drill down the center of the old screw. I start with a small bit to get it started and then go to a larger one (I think 1/8"). Many times the drill winds up going off to the side somewhat. But, it hasn't been a problem as long as it is still within the aluminum mounting post. Then, just find some new (preferably stainless steel) machine screws and put it back on. If the holes are not perfectly centered it doesn't matter. They is a lot of fudge factor room in remounting the rails. Never been a big issue for me. Just takes extra time and effort is all.

Your other choice is to just not even mess with them and leave the rails in place. Cleaning up that part of the cookbox isn't really necessary anyway.

Would I pass on an otherwise good Genny 1000 due to the rails? Nope. I would worry more about the frame and steel shelf brackets for rust. Besides that, the other drawback on the Genny 1000 is the 13 flavo bars which are more expensive to replace which is often the case with grills that people are dumping for next to nothing.

But, they are awesome grills performance wise.

I am amazed again and again at the combined knowledge and experience of this group��! I have wondered about this issue myself. I think I will be a little braver in trying to fix and in deciding if an old Genesis deserves a new lease on life.

You want to be extra careful drilling the screws out because they are steel surrounded by aluminum. Aluminum is eaten easily by a drill.

Take your time, be patient and persist!

Tim

Yep, I have had the drill veer off and bore into the aluminum, but the new machine screw still goes in, just fine. I don't even consider the problem of siezed drip tray rail screws aside from the fact that they make take a little more time to replace than if they just screw out. There is plenty of play in the drip tray rails to allow for screws that are not perfectly centered.

So I was able to drill out the old screw but the replacement screw wouldn't go in all the way for whatever reason. I used a nut as a spacer and it fit like a glove, problem solved!

Yep Sam, it doesnt have to be "perfect". It just has to be effective. You done good and chances are, you wont have to remove those screws again for another 20 years.

Nice score! That should clean up great. Took me almost two years to find a redhead and I had to drive 500 miles RT to get it.

Before the ad disappears:

00W0W_jgTKRua3nbU_600x450.jpg

Back