Wood Choice Question

Dan C. FL

TVWBB Pro
The wife picked up a 7.5 lbs. bone in pork shoulder (which I suspect is really a butt. I’m trying to decide what wood to use. The options are: pecan, beechnut, or maple with a couple pieces of hickory. I’m leaning towards the pecan or beechnut. Anyone used beechnut on pork? If so, how was it?

Hickory is natural with pork. That's pretty much what they use in the Carolinas. Save the pecan for your Thanksgiving turkey. It's awesome. I've never used breechnut. I'd be curious how that works out.

Hickory is natural with pork. That's pretty much what they use in the Carolinas. Save the pecan for your Thanksgiving turkey. It's awesome. I've never used breechnut. I'd be curious how that works out.

I love hickory, but only have one or two really small pieces. Don’t want to blend it with maple. Kinda leaning towards the beechnut because I have no idea what it’ll taste like. Descriptions have it between an Oak and a hickory. Sounds good to me.

I love pecan on everything so I'm biased there. Hickory is great too. You might mix it with the pecan. I've never tried beechnut

Hickory is natural with pork. That's pretty much what they use in the Carolinas.

Absolutely!

I've heard others on this forum say that hickory can overpower a pork butt, and it makes me wonder if their stash of hickory was harvested from different soil conditions. People (in this area) are nuts about hickory smoked pork, and it could be that our mid-Atlantic soil brings out the best aroma. Whenever I prepare for a butt smoke, I add at least 3 to 5 (depending on smoker size) fist-sized chunks to the pit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dan, is beechnut native to Florida?

Back