Turkey on a Genesis 1000 with Weber #9891 rotisserie

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
I want to do a turkey on my Genny with rotisserie. I know it can normally be done, but in my case, I am not sure. I have a Weber #9891 rotisserie and am concerned it will be off center and cause problems with the motor. The #9891 roto is different than most. It has a basket with arms than hold the meat in. I have done a couple chickens with it with good results, but they only weighed about 5lbs. I am looking at doing a 12-15 lb turkey. The rotisserie doesn't utilize a counter balance, so I am afraid it will rotate like a car tire that isn't balanced which could put a lot of stress on the motor. I emailed Weber customer support and they said a turkey would work fine. I am just skeptical and hope someone that has that style of roto can give some advice based on experience.

http://www.outdoorandabout.com/prod...ecue-rotisserie-discontinued-by-manufacturer/

I plan on doing a test turkey before the holidays, but want to give myself the best chance for success right off the bat. If necessary, I will just do it on the cooking grates, but would like to use the roto.

They won't spin too much weight. 12 pounder is all I would feel safe doing before it stripped out the plastic gears

What about rotisserie model #9890? I would like to roti a turkey as well for this Thanksgiving and I picked up a 9890 roti for $30. Anyone had any luck (good or bad) using that one?

It's the same motor. I'd say stick with the 12 lbs or less suggestion.

I've used my 9890 for a rib roast, a rack of ribs, a 2 lb chuck tender, etc etc. Nothing too heavy.

Back