Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stable Firmware Release v14

TVWBB Honor Circle Bryan Mayland's Avatar
    Oh nice! So one fewer step there. The standard image is still built 64KB aligned though just in case because what's a few bytes between smoky friends?
    I'm that HeaterMeter guy what ruins everybody's free time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Mayland View Post
    I've spent some time thinking about it and I can't think of how to do this in a persistent way. The old "config reset" was sort of half broken in that it only could reset certain files so it could leave things half reset, and it didn't work with the newer rebootless configuration restore process. The only way you can do this is to mod the squashfs image you use. It's a one time thing and can easily be scripted so I'd encourage you to do that.

• Grab the two parts of the image from the proper target https://heatermeter.com/dl/stable_14/ you need boot.img and root.squashfs and the gen_rpi_sdcard_img.sh which is constant.
    • unsquashfs root.squashfs and copy your changes into the filesystem
    • rebuild the squashfs
      Code:
      mksquashfs4 XXX YYY -nopad -noappend -root-owned -comp xz -Xpreset 9 -Xe -X lc 0 -Xlp 2 -Xpb 2 -Xbcj arm -b 256k -p '/dev d 755 0 0' -p '/dev/console c 600 0 0 5 1' -processors 1 -fixed -time `date "+%s"`
      # Where XXX is the directory with the uncompressed filesystem and YYY is the output file name
    • Make sure the squashfs image is a multiple of 64KB if you're going to flash it using a Mac flashing program that needs it to be
    • gen_rpi_sdcard_img.sh outputimage.img boot.img YYY 19 64

The only magic is really the mksquashfs command and I'm not sure how much of that is even actually needed.
    Not sure that I understand any of this (I'm a hardware guy) but I'm going to try.

I assume that this will need to be done on a Linux box, so step 1 will be setting up VMware on my laptop and create a virtual linux machine.

to be continued.....
    Last edited by Peter F; 11-05-2017 at 03:14 AM.
    Serial Heatermeter Builder (>175 and stopped counting )

Have a look at vagrant. I’m my opinion, it’s the fastest way to get a Linux VM up and running.

Now I remember again why I hate linux so much.

Ubuntu doesn't know what mksquashfs4 means and if I try mksquashfs instead then everything after "-comp xz" doesn't compute.

Do I need to do this on a RPI running LEDE? or is there an easy way to run LEDE on VMware?

Nope, actually LEDE doesn't have the tools needed to build the filesystem, only the kernel knows how to uncompress it. Looks like squasfs with xz compression isn't in the Ubuntu package? Weird.
    Code:
    wget https://heatermeter.com/devel/tmp/mksquashfs4
    chmod +x mksquashfs4
    I've also noticed the command line I have above has an extra space `-X lc 0` should be `-Xlc 0`. I've fixed that above.

You must be running a really old version of Ubuntu. The -comp xz option is there as of version 14.04

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...quashfs.1.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Mayland View Post
    Nope, actually LEDE doesn't have the tools needed to build the filesystem, only the kernel knows how to uncompress it. Looks like squasfs with xz compression isn't in the Ubuntu package? Weird.
    Code:
    wget https://heatermeter.com/devel/tmp/mksquashfs4
    chmod +x mksquashfs4
    I've also noticed the command line I have above has an extra space `-X lc 0` should be `-Xlc 0`. I've fixed that above.
    Thanks Bryan, this helped a lot!
    Mksquashfs4 kind of works now and I can create a modified squashsf file. However " -fixed -time `date "+%s"` " still gives an "invalid option" error, But if I delete this last bit I can create the file.

I'm traveling at the moment so I don't have access to a HM so I can't test if the changes really work, but so far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_M View Post
    You must be running a really old version of Ubuntu. The -comp xz option is there as of version 14.04

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

I meant that the options after -comp xz didn't work, starting from " -Xpreset "

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_M View Post

Ah I didn't look into it too much. Looks like on my 17.10 system it doesn't like the Xpreset option which is something that the LEDE people exposed in May of this year (some sort of bitflag for setting LZMA compressor parameters looking at the patch).

I upgraded to the new version yesterday before an overnight cook. I've also been having intermittent issues accessing my device over the network (4.2 hardware, Edimax wifi). And by intermittent, I mean most of the time I can't access it. Until you figure this issue out, is the best solution at the moment to downgrade to the previous version?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast