Jerky........Bob's Way

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
I hadn't done any jerky in a while so I dusted off Bob's recipe and got to it. I'd picked up a 4 lb. bottom round roast a few days ago. I put it in the freezer for a couple of hours and sliced it up. Probably could have used another hour in the freezer as it was pretty soft still and wasn't the easiest thing world to slice, even with my slicer. Marinaded the meat overnight. I'd cut the roast in half and sliced half and froze the rest.

Used a 4 line snake. 3 would have been plenty as I had a little trouble holding smoker temp at 160.

enhance

Here we go.

Used both racks on the 22.

enhance

About 2 hours in.

enhance

4 hours or so.

enhance

Ended up on the smoker for six hours. Had a conflict going in the oven so I couldn't finish drying the meat there. After about 2 hours, I pulled the smoke wood and just let it go on the smoker, again running at 160.

enhance

As is the case with all Bob's recipes this was some mighty fine tasty jerky, clearly the best I've done. Meat had a little bite and a little cracking when bent, but it did not break. Thanks Bob. Thanks for looking.

Glad you like the recipe Cliff.
That's a fine looking batch!
A local store has bottom rounds on sale this week for $3/lb, and I plan to get one for a batch myself.

Thanks everyone!

Pardon my ignorance, Cliff, but you lost me there.

Great looking jerky!

Just dumb terminology that I either made up or came across somewhere Rusty. In this case, it means 4 lines of charcoal forming the snake, two on the bottom and two on the top. It would have held 160 easily with 3 lines or possibly even two on this day.

Back