What model Summit is this?

KevinRH

00N0N_fAP9hqD7w6m_600x450.jpg

00P0P_k5y1bPQgdlB_600x450.jpg

What model is this Summit Grill is this and what is a ball park used value?

Is it a good grill like the older Genesis Grills?

thanks Kevin

EDIT - maybe is just called Summit 650NG for natural gas.

https://www.appliancefactoryparts.com/gasgrillparts/brands/weber/summit-650-ng.html

Last edited:
It's a 600 series because it has 6 burner knobs not 4.

It's an older style so it is not a 670.

It has no side burner, so it is not the top 600 series for its year. I think that would mean it has a lower model number than 650. I'm not exactly sure which.

My opinion is I would think it is worth 500 to 600 depending on if the condition is good to very good. If it needs new parts (grates, burners, flavorizer bars) or elbow grease, I would deduct that from the total. I would also make sure the firebox and frame had no rust-through spots.

It's a Summit 650. It and the 450 are top notch grills (performance wise). For some reason Weber never saw fit to outfit these with smoker burners or rotisserie burners so for rotisserie they're not optimal (though I am sure the 650 would do better than the 450). Side burner or no they were called x50. There was an open cart design for them at one time called x25 and there was even another that was set up as a no lid type (supposedly Aussie type) but I don't know the nomenclature they used for it.
Only trouble zone is the front of the fire box where the burners poke through. They rust out and Weber in their infinite wisdom did not see fit to support the grills for this issue (even when they were under warranty) leaving many of us (like myself) with either expensive boat anchors or having to scrounge around for the part(s) or trying to fabricate them.
I have a 450 version with side burner. It's pretty much my daily driver. I've been able to scrounge up some parts to keep it going. Love the thing even though Weber let me down on it. So will never buy another new Weber product again but that's another story.
Hard to give you a price for it. Depends on going rates in your area and so on

Thanks guys... so the advantages with this Summit over an older genesis is more heat? better heat control and more grilling space and a stainless grate that will last forever?
Anything else?

Thanks Kevin

They really don't get any hotter than a Genesis and the 4 burner model is the same size as the Genesis (grill grates can even interchange). Obviously more control with 6 burners you can do far more and it will be easier to "zone" it. I can tell you these models do not perform that well though in a rotisserie function due to burner layout and lack of a dedicated rotisserie burner

I brought it home for 200 and there is no rust in the fire box.
Frame is essentially rust free.

Burners, flavor bars and grate are in great shape.

The unit was not registered with Weber and is in good shape overall.
The frame is in great shape and just needs a quick spray of black paint. the lid end caps needs painting as expected.
The only thing I am not sure about is is the black porcelain has all these white specs on it.... Not sure if it will come off with steel wool. You can sort of see it in the second pic around the knobs.
Can I get a warranty replacement on those parts that are black and sort of white?

thanks Kevin

For some reason Weber never saw fit to outfit these with smoker burners or rotisserie burners so for rotisserie they're not optimal. Side burner or no they were called x50. There was an open cart design for them at one time called x25 and there was even another that was set up as a no lid type (supposedly Aussie type) but I don't know the nomenclature they used for it.
Had a recent conversation with someone with intimate knowledge about the first generation Summit grill in 1997. The big deal with Summit was that it was the first Weber grill with 4 or 6 burners running front/back, not left/right, which made indirect grilling easier. Came with s/s smoke box, thick s/s rod grates, s/s Flavorizer bars, s/s work surfaces.

Here were the original offerings:

Summit 400 (4-burner) and 600 (6-burner) with flat top cooking surface (no lid) and open cart design. Described in U.S. marketing material as an "open broiler" that could "broil enough steaks, brats, chops to feed an entire Boy Scout troop or family reunion in one shift". In Australia, these grills were marketed as the Weber 400 FT and 600 FT (Flat Top) with different accessories, including a Go Anywhere lid for covered cooking on the grate and a griddle in place of a grate:

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?54346-1997-98-Weber-Flat-Top-ad-from-Australia

Summit 425/625: 4- and 6-burner grills with porcelain enamel lid and open cart design.

Summit 450/650: 4- and 6-burner grills with porcelain enamel lid and enclosed cart design.

Side burner was an option that replaced the right side work surface, as shown in the link below:

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?71400-1997-Weber-Summit-650-in-red

By the way, the sweet red Summit 650 had an MSRP of $3350!

Summit 475/675: 4- and 6-burner version for custom built-in installation.

Dedicated smoke burner and dedicated roti burner came in later generation Summits.

You can see a first-year Summit promo on page 7 of this issue of Grill Out Times News, Winter 1997:

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?50978-Grill-Out-Times-Volume-03-Issue-1-Winter-1997

They really don't get any hotter than a Genesis and the 4 burner model is the same size as the Genesis (grill grates can even interchange).
My Summit 450 always ran hotter than my Genesis 2. Had to change the way I cooked when I switched grills, it was so hot. Maybe just my experience.

I had both my Summit 450 and my Genesis II in my stable and neither ran hotter than the other. My 450 has the side burner, and the huge ss smoker box too. It actually does work btw but it takes forever to start smoking. The cool thing is though it can carry a huge load of chunks (or chips) so once it starts it goes a good long time. I make good use of this for cooking spare ribs. If it had a rotisserie burner it would be just about the most perfect grill ever. Too bad Weber chose to take the cheapskate route on the newer models. I love the grates on it too. OP, if that 650 is as nice as you say you get a gem there. I'm jealous. As for any warranty fuggedaboutit. Weber screwed the pooch on this. They told me mine was covered and then magically they could not produce the parts for it. So I was left high and dry. That and them going el-cheapo and making everything in China now are the two reasons that Summit was the last new Weber product I'll ever buy.

I had both my Summit 450 and my Genesis II in my stable and neither ran hotter than the other. My 450 has the side burner, and the huge ss smoker box too. It actually does work btw but it takes forever to start smoking. The cool thing is though it can carry a huge load of chunks (or chips) so once it starts it goes a good long time. I make good use of this for cooking spare ribs. If it had a rotisserie burner it would be just about the most perfect grill ever. Too bad Weber chose to take the cheapskate route on the newer models. I love the grates on it too. OP, if that 650 is as nice as you say you get a gem there. I'm jealous. As for any warranty fuggedaboutit. Weber screwed the pooch on this. They told me mine was covered and then magically they could not produce the parts for it. So I was left high and dry. That and them going el-cheapo and making everything in China now are the two reasons that Summit was the last new Weber product I'll ever buy.

What is your opinion of the Summit Gold D6? Got a used one 2005 model and just about finished the rehab. Thanks

They're "OK" though I don't think I'd bother with one. Weber really cheapened up the construction on them compared to the originals IMO. They cook well though. My brother has one he inherited when he married his current wife. I completely refurbed it and converted it to NG for them. It does a nice job. But when you see the construction of the older ones like the 4xx 6xx compared to what came after (including today's versions) you can see how cheaply built they are in comparison. Weber chose to go with flash over substance

I fell like they did that with the Genesis and Spirit lines as well. I have done many 15-20 year old Genesis grills that were virtually rust free. These newer grills with the enclosed storage under neath almost always are full of rust. The drip pans are usually all corroded and need replacing after just 5-10 years. Give me a good old Genesis Silver or 1000 any day.

Jeff,

I have a 2005 Weber D6 and I love it, really my dream grill! I bought it used in 2011, it is made to be built in and I modified it with new Summit side shelves and side burner. At some point I will need to repaint the cast aluminum ends but that is just cosmetics. It has a smoker burner/box but I bought rcplane small grate to fill it in since I don't use it for smoking. I highly suggest a summit of that era!

Back