Spatchcock or whole?

RussL

TVWBB Member
With my acquisition of a WSM this year, I'm going to be smoking a bird for Thanksgiving. I'm leaning the spatchcock route, but I would love to hear what you guys/gals think.

I have done it both ways, couldn't really tell a difference, presentation of a Spatchcock turkey has a sort of cool factor just because you don't see it that often.

When I tried it I cooked it on a UDS, so no water pan, I did not flip it and I'm guessing my cooking temps were around 300-350 degrees.

I have to go the other way fellas. Nothing like the Norman Rockwell with the whole bird on the platter. What can I say: I am a traditionalist.

IMG_1129.jpg~original

Last edited:
I've done both. I with Dwain on this one. I prefer the traditional presentation. I cooked my last bird on the kettle and loved it. It's very easy to get high temps on the kettle. I'll probably cook my next on the WSM if we have thanksgiving here.

Whole, kettle, blanket of woven bacon over the breast! For serving, I lift the breasts off and slice across for beautiful plate show, legs and thighs crossed at the foot of the platter.

Rusty, sorry it's taken me so long to get back. I use the Weber charcoal baskets in a v shape towards the back of the kettle and a drip pan underneath. Dark meat towards the back with the charcoal. I know I have a pic somewhere. I may have to move it from PB to post it here.

Back