Access HM remotely from not public IP

Daniel - Tubby

Hi guys,

First post, but I've been reading these forums religiously for the last month or so.

I got a heater meter up and running and have had a few cooks on my weber kettle and I absolutely love this thing.

I'm not the most tech savvy bloke but know my way around a computer and can normally google myself out of problems.

I've managed to forward ports on my home network and access my meter from the web (awesome)

The problem I have is I've got a BBQ competition on next week (first ever) and I would like to be able to check on my meter while I'm at the bar having a few beers.
so I purchased a cellular WiFi dongle thingy. hoping that i could leave this next to the meter and be able to check on it from my phone over the cellular network.

the problem is that while i can forward ports on the dongle. the actual IP that i get from the provider is NOT a public IP.
from what I've read it goes through a NAT.

This means that i cannot access the meter from the net.

is there any possible way for possibly using a VPN or something similar on the PI to enable me web access to the meter?

You could try a service like https://sshreach.me/ to create a reverse ssh tunnel from the ssh client on the HeaterMeter. You would then be able to access your HeaterMeter via something like https://fw1.sshreach.me:9999/

They show how to manually connect via ssh on their website in the "Docs > API and technical stuff" section.

If I have time later on, I'll try and get it running as well to see if it actually works.

It's a little clunky to get setup, but it does work using the ssh client.

Need to work on scripting the steps involved so that it's easily reproducible.

# Generate a dropbear ssh key on the heatermeter
Code:
# dropbearkey -y -f /mnt/mmcblk0p4/id_reachme 
Public key portion is:
ssh-rsa AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAADAQABAAABAQCU2vngB1bhbLvBe52dbKAbdc70u09NxiXVr8Q5s2CrzFdSyeM2bk8BQNflU+YIkvnZX/4YRq23WkBIIHAczusuTuuJKrHk8A9Ldx4t6tbFzl0X3QZaILNRynZWfDpL9+RX4cVkjV4aF5Fqz495FUou5sl86LWQ2X65qm9MRFOrDXlxV6HNB2D48t+bJyoomGFWmvW/DXKyX6mm3FNpVIL3tTaWfR8o/YF4++eKOwhiVv8sPB0QW8SBkekMbhPeV/fuSkaKjH+hw1MBz2UH+Qygt17HKhTUPD4trYV/0UmmCN5uKzPAdD+mONGzOdRA2xwAnxGNE/BQAStmBjFO15Sr root@HM43W
Fingerprint: md5 15:05:77:b0:66:fc:20:ce:86:17:66:21:be:41:77:0d

You'll need to paste the pubiic key into the sshreach.me website. Even though the above command shows you the public key, you can get a cleaner output, just showing the key with this command.

Code:
# dropbearkey -y -f /mnt/mmcblk0p4/id_reachme | grep ssh-rsa
ssh-rsa AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAADAQABAAABAQCU2vngB1bhbLvBe52dbKAbdc70u09NxiXVr8Q5s2CrzFdSyeM2bk8BQNflU+YIkvnZX/4YRq23WkBIIHAczusuTuuJKrHk8A9Ldx4t6tbFzl0X3QZaILNRynZWfDpL9+RX4cVkjV4aF5Fqz495FUou5sl86LWQ2X65qm9MRFOrDXlxV6HNB2D48t+bJyoomGFWmvW/DXKyX6mm3FNpVIL3tTaWfR8o/YF4++eKOwhiVv8sPB0QW8SBkekMbhPeV/fuSkaKjH+hw1MBz2UH+Qygt17HKhTUPD4trYV/0UmmCN5uKzPAdD+mONGzOdRA2xwAnxGNE/BQAStmBjFO15Sr root@HM43W

Once you create your client on the sshreach.me site, you'll need to download the sshreachme.py file they supply and get the UNIX_USERNAME value from the file.

Code:
UNIX_USERNAME = '5IYdh5UvJCfkhS3kQSItfIw717U9uR'

You'll also need to get the port that was assigned to you, which can be found on the Info tab when you look at your clients on the sshreach.me website. I was assigned port 10504

To open the tunnel, use this command:
Code:
ssh -y -N -i /mnt/mmcblk0p4/id_reachme -R 10504:localhost:80 5IYdh5UvJCfkhS3kQSItfIw717U9uR@fw1.sshreach.me

Oe9Lwev.png

Ja8AKIfl.png

Last edited:

Back