Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help for victims of Santa Rosa firestorm

Help for victims of Santa Rosa firestorm

This one hits close to home, folks.

Santa Rosa, CA is where I grew up as a kid. The city is devastated by the ongoing firestorm that started last Sunday night. I have family and friends in the area. Some had to evacuate yesterday, more had to evacuate today. My parents are prepared right now to evacuate at a moment's notice. No loss of property for my family so far, but that's not the case for SO MANY people, and this situation is far from over. The effects are going to take years to recover from.

I'm putting out the call to all fans of The Virtual Weber Bullet and The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board. I'm calling in all my favors. I'm making a personal appeal to YOU. Please help support the relief effort in whatever way you can. Any amount helps make a difference.

I'm actively supporting three causes:

1) Chef Jim Modesitt has already been on the ground in Santa Rosa for 24 hours, cooking hot BBQ meals for victims of the fire and for first responders. He's fast approaching his goal to raise $5000 for the effort, but I want to push him WAY over that goal. I've made a donation...please help if you can, any amount is appreciated!

https://www.gofundme.com/disaster-re...a-rosa-lunches <-- This campaign has concluded, raising over $61,000! Please give to one of the other charities listed below.

2) Operation BBQ Relief is mobilizing resources to support the effort in Santa Rosa. Contributions are tax deductible. They've done great work this year in Texas and Florida in the aftermath of hurricanes, and now we need their help here in California. Please consider making a donation.

https://operationbbqrelief.org/apis/volunteer/donation

3) Redwood Empire Food Bank is the largest hunger-relief organization serving Sonoma County. They're accepting non-perishable food donations as well as cash donations. Contributions are tax deductible. If you want to make a general food donation, this is the way to go.

http://refb.org/give

Thanks in advance to all my barbecuing and grilling friends for whatever help you can offer.

Best regards,
    Chris

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Bob Correll's Avatar
    Chris,
    I hope your family, friends, and all others make it safely through this terrible ordeal.
    Donation made to OBR.
    I'm sure the team is weary from all of the recent disasters, bless them for the work they do.

One note, after the donation I got an error report, but also received an email verification of my donation, so I assume it did go through.
    I think their website could use a little work.
    Cooking a steak to well done is like killing the bovine twice.

Whew, it been a rough year for natural disasters. Twisters from Nate hit this area and did some damage.

Godspeed to the folks in California.
    18.5", 18.5", 14.5", & Royal Oak Lump / Briquettes

I'm in (earlier today)

I don't know which is worse - having your home leveled by a storm, or having it turned to ashes by a wild fire. At least you can find a some intact mementos from storm damage, but not so much after a fire.

Here's what happens to a Weber gas grill in a firestorm. The aluminum firebox, side tables, and lid handle melt, leaving behind the frame and part of the lid.

From yesterday...click to run the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Allingham View Post
    Here's what happens to a Weber gas grill in a firestorm. The aluminum firebox, side tables, and lid handle melt, leaving behind the frame and part of the lid.

The flames were so hot, the kerosene heater in the background looks like the leaning tower of Pisa.
    Last edited by Rusty James; 10-17-2017 at 05:57 PM.

surreal stories - everything's normal, then suddenly they're surrounded by fire (wind blew the fire into their neighborhood).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast