Genesis 1000? Target Edition - Restoration from a few yrs ago

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Since I only recently joined this group, I thought I would dig out one of my first all-out restorations. I found this tired out Genesis on CL and picked it up pretty cheap.

aww7lk.jpg

The original owner had let the original trays go to pot and replaced the side one with some kind of tile slab. I didn't know a lot about the history of these grills at the time, but I found out that this one was apparently an edition created specially for Target stores. I thought it was black when looking at the pictures but found in person that it was actually a classy charcoal gray.

14m7wjd.jpg

When I first started working on this grill I didn't realize the challenge of tracking down the various missing durawood trays. I am sure it is that much harder now. Eventually, I found them and meanwhile got the frame stripped down and the goofy slab thing (and related glue/cement) off.

1126agy.jpg

I decided that I wanted to donate my final product to our local small college for their annual auction. I probably went a little overboard, but I replaced all the internals with new parts and did my best to bring the remainder back to life.

2q0u429.jpg

33vnluq.jpg

I printed out the paperwork that came with this grill and even made a poster to help generate additional bids!

hts1aq.jpg

The auction winner got a pretty good deal. While I now much prefer the older Genesis models with real wood slats (even if difficult to maintain), I thought this one with durawood slats came out pretty attractive. Let me know what you think!

Jon

I like the poster! Kind of makes me want to make one for my own grill, but nobody around here would be that impressed!

My wife works part-time for the college, so I had her look that up. I was bummed out to find that it only fetched $175:mad: Well, at least the winner was a young couple who work for the college and don't make very big salaries. I was glad at least that it went to someone deserving.

I did a Genesis S-310 for the college a year or two later. It was the early version with the burners running the long ways (I guess everyone here calls that E-W.) Another craigslist find, it came out really nice and I believe got them $450. I hope to post pictures if I can track them down.

Jon

I did a similar thing with a refurb I did. I found a good deal on an old Ducane (before Weber ruined the name) grill. This was a top of the line one. 2 main burners plus a full width rotisserie burner along with the full rotisserie setup. My brother in law runs a charitable organization in the impoverished SW Side of Chicago http://shepherdshopechicago.org/ and when they expanded and opened a feeding center along with the food pantry and education center and so on I used that as a gift to them because he said there was a true need. So off it went to it's new home and it's been going strong for about 3 years now over there. Darn nice rotisserie grill too. That setup had a nice full width conventional (not infrared) burner, and a tray above it for smoking chips. It made some OUTSTANDING rotisserie. I liked it better than the infrared type on my Wolf.

Yah, great story. I gave one of my restoration grills to a blind vietnam vet buddy of mine. He loves it. Got rid of the mess and hassle of his coal burner and now grills out much more often.

Anyway, I think I will consider doing another grill for donating to a good cause if one pops up that I like next summer.

Back