First brisket flat on my WSM, pork belly burnt ends and bologna!

Troy S

TVWBB Fan
I'm so happy that I bought the 22" instead of the 18". I'm the type of person that, when I smoke, I usually want to stuff the entire thing full. I also smoked mac and cheese and some bacon wrapped jalapenos, but I didn't take any pictures. You can see one or two country pork ribs in the pictures.

This was the first time I got the chance to do any form of a brisket on my WSM. I marinated the 6 lb. flat in zesty Italian dressing overnight and applied a coffee rub to it. Smoked for about four or so hours when I pulled it at around 170, wrapped, sat it back on the WSM and let it ride for about an hour and 45 minutes. It started hitting 204 in some places and 207 in another. I put it in a styrofoam cooler wrapped in a towel. I let it rest for two hours. I was nervous it was going to be dry, but to be honest, it was one of the juiciest briskets I've ever tasted. Was it overcooked? Perhaps, but it was extremely juicy and delicious. One of my guests was surprised to learn that I didn't spritz or add anything to it when I wrapped. Funny thing is, I meant to add beef broth when I wrapped it, but I forgot! Nevertheless, it was amazing and I surprised myself by not butchering it.

Everybody loved the pork belly burnt ends, too. I used some sweet bourbon seasoning on 'em, finished them in the WSM before moving them to a foiled pan. Added molasses. And, of course, the smoked bologna is always absolutely delicious. The mac and cheese is becoming a hit, too. I didn't take any pictures because I pulled it from the WSM when guests arrived.

All in all, another fine cook and I'm falling more in love with my WSM. Only problem is, after it cooled down, my lid was stuck to the middle section. After some pulling, I got it to come off, but I might need to apply some vinegar in that area shortly. Some of my dampers are getting really tough to move as well and I'm afraid I'm going to bend them.

DRsoxn5.jpg

nqAUrG9.jpg

5S8hdUq.jpg

That's a remarkable looking cook Troy. Would have liked to see some slices of our brisket. Sounds delicious. I've never experienced the stuck lid on my WSM's but those tough to turn dampers are a chronic problem for Weber, at least on mine.

Thank you, Cliff and Barb!

I meant to take pictures after I cut a few slices, but I guess I was just trying to hurry, as our guests were about to arrive! Hopefully I can get my hands on another in the future and give it another go!

Can't wait for the next smoke!

Back