The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping

Thread: Bent Lid

Bent Lid

I need help on LID for 22.5 WSM. While cleaning my WSM at the car wash I dropped the lid from a worktable. The lid fell about three feet and landed on concrete floor. I thought it landed straight down but apparently it hit on the edge and consequently bent a section about 5 inches across the rim. Itis usable but leaks considerably. I measured itand it is half inch out of round.

I have straightened the center section of my cooker in the past but I do not know how to straighten this section. What does a new lid cost?
    My worst brisket was better than my best steak

I would try a spreader clamp. Mine are bar clamps that let me reverse the clamp heads and they then pull things apart.

After more thought I would clamp across the wide part and see if I could pull it back to round that way. If you don't have rubber guards on the clamp head use pieces of wood, leather, or cork to protect the porcelain.
    Last edited by Lew Newby; 10-07-2017 at 08:37 AM.
    Old dog, learning new tricks - one cook at a time :-). - -14.5" WSM , 22.5" WSM , 1998 22" SS Performer (Red) with Vortex, Auber ATC. CB Rotisserie

Quote Originally Posted by J Bowie View Post
    What does a new lid cost?
    https://www.ereplacementparts.com/li...p-1475848.html

Lew gave you some good advice, you could also try a dead blow hammer and see if you can pound it out.
    Or if you know anyone in a body and fender shop see if they can fix it.

Tim
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!

I would try cutting a disc out of 1/2" plywood to the diameter of the inside of the cook chamber & then gently & evenly pound it into the lid. Use bar soap to grease the edge of the plywood. Go slow. You could drill some holes in the plywood & thread rope through them before you start to remove the plywood.
    18.5 & 14.5 WSMs, 26.5 XL, 22.5 Performer, JJ, SJ, Roti Rings, Stackers, Genesis 330, OKJ Highland & Al Pastor Cooker