Weber Summit Charcoal Grill - Who has one?

D Jennings

TVWBB Fan
I'm looking at a new kamado and the Weber is one I'm looking at. About the only thing I have seen negative is that there have been reports of the lid leaking, for a $1500+ piece of equipment this is not good. Who has one? What do you like and what do you not like?

The leaking is mostly a "on principle" complaint since it cost so much more than a kettle. Real life won't affect cooking significantly. It's like if there is an interior rattle in your brand new Mercedes car. You wouldn't care if it was a Chevy.

Mine doesn't leak.

What I like: it will do anything. Hot and fast, low and slow, high direct heat, high indirect heat, low heat of every kind. It is fuel efficient and comes with all the goodies you need.

What I'm not thrilled with: the gas igniter is so-so, useful really only for lighting coals in the lower position. It doesn't get all the coals ready quite as fast as with a chimney, so if you're doing steaks or something like that, it's not worth using. There's also no rotisserie accessory, so if you want to use one of those you'll need a kettle or something to use too.

The price is high for it, but compare it to a similarly sized Kamado Joe or BGE (with the same accessories the WSC and KJ include), you're in the same price range.

Really, though, if you are willing to spend the money for one, it's a fantastic grill.

I'm looking at a new kamado and the Weber is one I'm looking at. About the only thing I have seen negative is that there have been reports of the lid leaking, for a $1500+ piece of equipment this is not good. Who has one? What do you like and what do you not like?

Actually I would care on any new car. I'm trying to get a handle if this is a wide spread issue or a random type thing.

I purchased a WCS and have used it a hand full of times,largely practice runs for KCBS competitons, i.e. ribs, boston butts, etc. I love this unit, it has very good heat retention and temperture recovery when breifly opening the hood during long cooks, which I do for basting ribs, etc. I also have an XL BGE that ive owned for 5 years - this Weber is every bit a good, and much easier to move. If you can afford the price - get one. As for the lid leaking: are you referring to the seam leaking during cooks (simular to a WSM) or water leaking into the unit? Either way, I haven't noticed either to be an issue.

I've got a Summit Charcoal Grilling Center. No leaking from the lid gasket on mine. You install the lid yourself as part of the assembly process...there may be some adjustment in the lid hinge if this occurs and I'd be sure to call Weber Customer Support if it happened to me.

I've got no complaint about the propane ignition, but I tend to use the charcoal baskets centered right over the lighter and the charcoal is good and hot as fast as with a chimney. I'm doing mostly steaks indirect with the baskets spread out on one side of the grill and the steaks on the other, then bring the baskets together for reverse searing at the end. Works good for me.

Back