Opinions please. Newbie looking for a restoration project

RGrant

This is my first post. I just recently discovered the wonderful world of vintage Webers. I am excited to start a restoration project. I have found this one locally but not sure what model I'm looking at and if it is a fair price. The owner said he powder coated the lid (it was red originally) and this is why it looks odd. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Ryan

https://tulsa.craigslist.org/for/d/weber-gas-grill/6283968800.html

Ryan,

Welcome, first of all.

Powdercoating over a porcelain surface? - No wonder it looks odd. That will never look right.

I'd say to pass on it and look for a better specimen but it looks like slim pickings for old Webers on Tulsa CL. I wonder if you could remove the powdercoating to get back to the porcelain surface.

The fact that the ad's been up for a month and it hasn't sold yet should tell you that he's reaching at $100.

That is a genesis 2000, a great grill but I would be concerned with the powder coated lid. The lids are porcelain enamel, so they scrub clean.

I'd be on the fence with that grill at that price.

I have a 2000 and love all the shelf space and the deep fire box.

That is a great model to restore, but that price seems mighty high to me? I bet the issue with the lid could be scrubbed clean or worked out some how but only if the price comes WAY down.

Hope you can find one and get it started soon!

Welcome to the forum.
That I believe that is a Genesis 2 because the wood slats. The genesis 1000 and up had durawood slats made from recycled milk cartons. Although they could have changed over to wood at some point.
The earlier 1-5 and 1000-5000s are starting to become a lot pricier then a year or so back. But I think for $100 you could do a lot better. Don't discount the Silver and gold series, even though they don't have the deep box they are pretty much the same as the earlier deep box grills and perform very well and are more plentiful, also some great bargains can be found on those.
Good luck with your search.

Here's a link that might help you Id the grill you're looking at.

http://www.webergrillreview.com/Genesis1_5.html

Welcome Ryan.
Offer $30 and see if the seller will bite (you never know). If not then I'd pass, but that's just me. Good luck!

I'd totally pass on it. That lid is ruined IMO. It will never be right again. As for the model of this one it could be either a II (2) or a 2000. If there are casters on one side it's a 2000 if there are only "pads" than it's a II. I am not sure when the wooden slats gave way to the durawood but I know for a fact my dad has a 2000 (he bought it new many years ago) and it has wood slats. But it's a non starter anyway because that grill is ruined. Not worth more than MAYBE $20

Well darn guys. I was finally excited about finding one local. I almost never see these on craigslist!! Is the lid something that could be replaced??

Yah, the lid can be replaced but I wouldn't purchase the grill for $100 IMO. Offer $20 or $30 and see if they'll budge.

Methinks it's a Genesis 2. I downloaded the second photo and zoomed in on the folding side table.

RZo1LAs.jpg

Genesis 2 raises/lowers the side table via a wire arm that is manually inserted into a hole in the front or back leg of the frame, whereas the Genesis 2000 has the wire arm connected to a fitting that slides along a rail running between the front and back leg. I don't see the rail assembly in this photo. It looks like the wire arm is laying loose and not inserted into the back leg.

Where is the serial number going to be located. I have asked the owner for that info but they don't know where to find it.

The s/n is really not that important since unlike say a car it can be moved from one unit to the next. The lid can be replaced but my experience is the cost of shipping it would be far greater than it's value toward the grill. The bottom line is the way it sits it can be made "functional" but that is all. It will never be "attractive" due to the lid being ruined by the PO. If you're interested I have a good red lid but I suspect it would cost well over $50 to ship it since when I offered it to Bruce to ship it only about 70 miles was like $45. I've been hanging on to it as a spare for the one I gave to my son in law. I even have a sky blue Summit 450 lid

Where is the serial number going to be located. I have asked the owner for that info but they don't know where to find it.

Believe he'd need to pull off the knobs, remove a screw or two and lift up the control panel cover on the right of the grill. Should find the sticker either on the panel or the side of the tube frame.

The s/n is really not that important since unlike say a car it can be moved from one unit to the next. The lid can be replaced but my experience is the cost of shipping it would be far greater than it's value toward the grill. The bottom line is the way it sits it can be made "functional" but that is all. It will never be "attractive" due to the lid being ruined by the PO. If you're interested I have a good red lid but I suspect it would cost well over $50 to ship it since when I offered it to Bruce to ship it only about 70 miles was like $45. I've been hanging on to it as a spare for the one I gave to my son in law. I even have a sky blue Summit 450 lid

I wonder how much of the shipping cost is weight, and how much is dimensional. If it's primarily weight, one could always remove the end caps if the person on the receiving end has a matching lid.

I'f I was bound and determined to get a grill right now, I'd take a close look at this one, then just be on the lookout for another one to pop up down the road and grab the lid from that.

Believe he'd need to pull off the knobs, remove a screw or two and lift up the control panel cover on the right of the grill. Should find the sticker either on the panel or the side of the tube frame.

On my Genesis 2, the serial number appears in two locations:

1) Remove the wooden work surface on the RIGHT side, there's an oval-shaped sticker on the frame.

RaIMmXJ.jpg

j7YIgZP.jpg

2) Remove the burner control knobs. I believe there are plastic clips in the right edge of the control panel that pop out and the panel lifts right out. There's a large sticker on the bottom of the panel.

vzh5VNb.jpg

If it's L3 xxxxxx it's a Genesis 2. If it's KL3 xxxxxx it's a first-year (1993) Genesis 2000. If it's EH xxxxxx or another two-letter code, it's a 1994 or later Genesis 2000 and can be dated using the table here: How To Determine The Age Of Weber Grills & Smokers

I have a Genesis 1000 with the serial number in the same place as yours. It is on the end of the right shelf. The SN starts with KL1 however.

It is Chris. I actually have two of them. One I rehabbed a few months ago and is now my personal grill and one I picked up a week ago that is a future rehab project. They are great grills.

Here is my latest one:
CXPb7Cq.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder how much of the shipping cost is weight, and how much is dimensional. If it's primarily weight, one could always remove the end caps if the person on the receiving end has a matching lid.

I'f I was bound and determined to get a grill right now, I'd take a close look at this one, then just be on the lookout for another one to pop up down the road and grab the lid from that.

From what I could gather majority is size. It's really not that heavy mostly it's bulk

Back