Turkey Fryer BTUs

Neil Grant

TVWBB Fan
Am looking to replace the adjustable 0-15 PSI regulator on my 170K btu fryer with a newer one with the newer tank connection (black knob) but can only find 0-10 PSI replacements. I figure this would reduce BTU output, but does that matter much re: frying turkey and boiling water ?

The government has limited propane tank output to something like 90k BTU. You can't get anything close to 170k BTU out of a single propane tank, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. I had the same issue -- massive burner and no way to supply it with the fuel it needs. I found what I got from a single tank was adequate for me.

You could theoretically heat the water/oil faster with more BTUs, but 90k BTU is about three times more energy than you'll get from the average "high output" burner on a gas range. So I think it's probably acceptable. The alternative would be to somehow rig two tanks in parallel but I have no idea how you'd do that.

It's been a while since I last used mine but as I recall it put out quite a roar when I cranked it up. With enough fuel pressure to get it up to 170k BTU it would sound like a jet engine with afterburners engaged.

Back