Bad Sunday Smoke Day

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Well Sundays beef back rib smoke started out bad and just got worse. Really windy and the WSM just wanted to fight with me all day.
Started my cook as I always do with a full ring of unlit coals and about 2/3 of a small chimney of lit coals.
Could not get that WSM over 195 and that was after an hour. With all the vents wide open. I’ve used it in winds before and yes the temps bounced around but within the target temperature, but I was at least 55 degrees below my target.
So I got the chimney back out and got the Kingsford charcoal carrier with the thought of adding some more lit coals. That’s when I noticed the orange bag inside it, the dreaded Royal Oak. I had the same problem when I used it in the mini. Royal Oak is really slow when lighting unlit with lit coals. I scooped out most of the unlit RO and replaced it with Kingsford and within 20 minutes I was running 275.
My error, I forgot I was trying to use up the last two bags of RO which works great for grilling when all the coals are lit.
Finally when the ribs were done all they were was fat and gristle really bad, not enough meat on all seven bones to fill up a toy poodle.
It was my first time doing the big bones and my last, because when you find them here they always look like the ones I got, way over trimmed.
Now I know

spog
36747019314_15181e58d4_z.jpg

36746994584_7b8ec8dabc_z.jpg

36746992964_32297994bb_z.jpg

36746991364_99021a71a4_z.jpg

23604710588_8569bb6325_z.jpg

Have a great week.

Looks like you tried your best Rich! Skinny bones are all I can find around here, too.

JimT

Sorry to hear about your cook Rich.
Often called shiners, because the bones shine through.
Been there and done those a couple of times, but never again.
I've found it's hard to get good meaty beef ribs in our area, so I've cut the rib section off Costco's bone-in rib roasts to cook separate from the roast, and those are darn good.

Here's a tip, look for the "K" when you dump out the charcoal. :p

They sure look tasty Rich. Sorry you were unhappy with them. Good comments from the gang above me. I read on another thread you started recently that these ribs were from your infamous "Dog Food Section" of your market. Maybe poor quality compounding the problem.

I feel your pain, Rich...I've passed on ribs at the store because they just don't have enough meat, regardless of how great the price is.

Bob's comment about cutting his own is why they're often trimmed so close. There's more money in a rib roast at $8/lb than there is in ribs at half the price.

I still that the point when you decide French onion soup is the track to take? Sorry Rich, so many calories, so many ways to miss the mark and, so many times I've missed.

Well the final product looks great! I used to be able to get un-trimmed beef ribs from my grocer. They came two whole racks to a cryo pack. Now all they have is what you had. One rack trimmed in the cryo pack. The butcher I use has the dino bones but @ $16.00/pound they're a bit out of my budget!

Rich: Sorry to read about your bad day. I thought you had a small enclosed (walled) yard? How windy can it get? Or was that someone else's picture I'm thinking of?

Back