Repurposing Genesis Silver 3 Burner

Neil Grant

TVWBB Fan
I can't bring myself to junk my old grill, and the used market (CL) is flooded with old grills, so is there any other cooking or non-cooking modification any of you have done to make it worth keeping and to keep my wife on my a$$ to get rid of it ?

Works fine except for the igniter (so I've used a lighter),but some cosmetic issues. I bought a newer (used) one that's cleaner, the igniter works, and has bigger shelf area. Any creative ideas to save it from the scrap heap ?

Replacing the igniter is a ten dollar repair, and it takes about 3 minutes to do. Have you considered replacing the igniter and having 2 grills?

I like the cooler concept, can you fit a foam cooler inside it. Maybe fit a better cooler in and run the drain out the gas port? Make a swinging glass rack for the lid? Lights, camera, kegerator? Heck make it a cabinet for picnic party supplies, racks to "file" plates, flatware paper towel rack in the lid? The mind boggles at the possibilities!
Heck, outdoor speakers, or portable illumination! I can think of a hundred ways to spend someone else's money on this kind of "problem".
Think back about the "portable bar carts" in old movies. Lift the top and the tray rises and all that kind of thing.
Or for ten or fifteen bucks fix the igniter..... where's the fun in that?

Haha, touche! I was just saying, he may not be aware of how easy fixing the igniter is. All that aside, yes, a cooler cart is a brilliant idea! I wonder what you could do, I've dabbled with the idea of making a super cooler also, just not a Weber Super Cooler! Just think of the possibilities! Swing up tables, replacing the control panel with another table, it's actually a great idea! Somehow incorporate the lid into the cooler ... it goes on and on ....

I like what Rich did and that link is his idea. I have a UDS no table and my wife is going to buy me that redhead kettle they just came out with kill 2 birds with one stone can just roll out the table with wood on it when you smoke or grill no need for the performer as you have a surface to put your meat on in a tray to wrap or whatever.

Brian

It's not about the igniter....it's that I picked up another (cleaner) grill already and don't need two gassers. Some good ideas above.

Some people convert them into charcoal grills. Maybe consider making it into a smoker.

except that I have a Weber kettle and a WSM and the only way I might save this from wife's decluttering is if I find a new, needed use for it. I like the cooler concept....

I've been picking them up here and there and giving them to friends family or whatever. Recently I did one up nice for my nephew to take to college and I have another I'll be doing that with again this year.

Not sure where you live but maybe a local club or group could use it fire department high school or sports complex snack bar

I think the OP is looking for uses that give him a reason to keep it for himself.

I've been picking them up here and there and giving them to friends family or whatever. Recently I did one up nice for my nephew to take to college and I have another I'll be doing that with again this year.

Not sure where you live but maybe a local club or group could use it fire department high school or sports complex snack bar

Or a charitable organization. I refurbished an old style Ducane (before Weber ruined them by making them Chinese) and gave it to my brother in law for a Charitable organization he runs with my sister on the SW side of Chicago called Shepard's Hope Chicago. They have a feeding center, food pantry and so on and they put that old grill to good use

Rebuild it and do it for the fun of it and I bet before long you will find a good use or someone that you will enjoy giving it to. If it is too far gone, make a cool beverage/patio/grill cart!

Let us know how it turns out

Buddy of mine made junk weber grill into a gardening potting table on wheels. Nice easy useful project. Personally I'd convert it to an outdoor drink station with a built in cooler where the fire box was...or maybe make it into both - potting table that can be made into an outdoor drink table...

Back