New to cast iron

I bought my first lodge cast iron skillet about 2 years ago and im using it more and more. I've noticed on the cooking shows, many of them are now using cast iron instead of the non stick stuff they all try sell with their names on it. Anyway, im just wondering about cast iron recipes, how many people use them, brands, so on and so on. I plan on purchasing a lodge camping dutch oven at some point so i'm interested in recipes and techniques. Any chance its popular enough to add a cast iron section to the forum? I know there are other forums specializing in cast iron, just wondering.

Lodge gets the job done for eggs (even scrambled), bacon, pancakes, tortillas, grilled cheese and so many other things.

I did just buy a stargazer cast iron pan waiting in shipping's. It's my first high end piece. I also good a griddle for grilling smash burgers.

I broke in my 3 lodge pans with 4-5 coats of grape seed oil. Took a long time since I just coat and throw them into gas grill or oven when cooking something else. You could spend a whole day just doing it but I just didn't use them for a few weeks until they piggy backed in other cooks to season.

No Teflon pans for me but I do have some all clad stainless pans for acidic sauces and foods.

I was given a Campchef CI Dutch oven las year for Christmas and absolutely love it!! It's still a work in progress as to perfecting cooking with charcoal briquettes, but man is it fun! I highly recommend getting a Dutch oven of you can. Tons of info out there, just have to dig a little. Hmmmmm, now that I think about it, we haven't had Dutch oven peach cobbler in a while...
Tim

Brain, I have nine pieces of cast iron and love em. I would highly recommend the book "Cook it in Cast Iron" by Cooks Country. It's produced by Americas Test Kitchen.
Loads of information on taking care of your CI and lots of tips and product reviews. There is also a boat load of excellent recipes. Barb and I have made a bunch of the recipes and all of them have been great.
I am not affiliated with Cooks Country or Americas test kitchen I just really like the book.

I've made several things out of the Lodge Cast Iron cookbook, everything has been good. Some sort of bacon/green bean side dish, a clam chowder with bacon :), herbed eggplant something, a pizza I heavily modified.... it's a good cookbook, I might've even given a copy as a gift.

Thanks for everyones input. Im not sure which size dutch oven i should purchase. I doubt i will use for more than 4-5 people when i cook. I was thinking 5 qt.

I have a Stargazer and the seasoning comes off. I think it maybe to smooth

Wait, what? That's the relatively new cast iron manufacturer out in NJ, right? How is the seasoning coming off? During cooking (and what are you cooking,) cleaning, or something else?

I've got some Wagner 1891 (brand, not year) with smooth machined finishes, they keep the seasoning reasonably well.

Thanks for everyones input. Im not sure which size dutch oven i should purchase. I doubt i will use for more than 4-5 people when i cook. I was thinking 5 qt.

As long as it'll fit where you're cooking, me, I'd get the biggest. There's little downside to a dutch oven that's too big, but a too small pot will be a pain point. I have a 5qt and even just cooking for a small number of people, I've occasionally wanted something bigger.

As long as it'll fit where you're cooking, me, I'd get the biggest. There's little downside to a dutch oven that's too big, but a too small pot will be a pain point. I have a 5qt and even just cooking for a small number of people, I've occasionally wanted something bigger.
I plan on cooking outdoors with it. I want a camping DO. Which size would you suggest? I just dont want to need a hand truck to carry it around..lol

Ah..... I see your point if you're backpackin' it in and out. Still, 5-8 quarts would be my thought, but that all depends on how much & what you're cooking. Maybe chat up your local Scouts & pick their brains.

Brian,
I use a 5 qt. Dutch oven for 3-4 people (see photos). I have an 8 qt. Dutch oven for 5 or more people and numerous frying pans. I purchased two very sturdy park grills from a woman with a fishing lodge on the Kenai River who got rid of all her charcoal grills and replaced them with propane. She had 15-20 grills which she sold for $20 a piece. I bought two of them but I should have bought more. I cook with cast iron & charcoal most of the summer when I'm at the fishing lot; cast iron is fantastic for cooking with charcoal.
You are in a great location for great cast iron finds. Lots of Wagner & Griswold in and around Ohio.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/97609396@N07/albums/72157686652501991

Wait, what? That's the relatively new cast iron manufacturer out in NJ, right? How is the seasoning coming off? During cooking (and what are you cooking,) cleaning, or something else?

I've got some Wagner 1891 (brand, not year) with smooth machined finishes, they keep the seasoning reasonably well.

I'll have to see when I get it. Usually I get 4-5 layers before food touches it. I'm able to season carbon steel comal successfully for tortillas and it's really smooth too. Im planning to baby the stargazer for eggs pancakes and such. Probably not do steaks it sauces on it until I see what it can handle.

Today i purchased the lodge 12 inch, 6quart Camp dutch oven, lid lifter, and the lodge book of dutch oven cooking to get me started. Early birthday present to myself.

After cooking and rinsing out.

That's really strange. I'd be tempted to burn it back to bare iron (oven cleaning cycle or an hour outside in a screamin' hot grill, etc.,) and reseason from scratch. I won't profess to be a cast iron expert, but if the seasoning is not adhering, take off what's interfering and start over.

Edit: Did you you get the bare skillet, or preseasoned? I'd also drop a note off to Stargazer about the seasoning coming off.

Today i purchased the lodge 12 inch, 6quart Camp dutch oven, lid lifter, and the lodge book of dutch oven cooking to get me started. Early birthday present to myself.

Sounds like a great start! Happy Birthday BTW :)

No need to over complicate it, CI is easy to take care of, and is even resistant to neglect. Just make sure to clean & oil it, and be careful of tomato sauces in it. Fine to cook, but clean it soon-ish and don't store the food in it in the fridge for a few days. Even if you do, just clean and oil asap.

I save the paper towels I re-oil my CI pans with & use them to start my charcoal/chimneys.

Seasoned my stargazer 3 layers on top of the pre-seasoning they put on. Color is so weird. Doesn't get black. but it is sticking. On the bottom of pan i'm a little sloppy with the oil, but not on the inside. thin layer only.

4BHbF9pO-nnSXbULnlSuC3RZQ8G0_Rx4ymXd2zPESjiIRi6U3SNUw89yTdGAIAEovG5p_oGhT2wDS6WMpPabsmn_aM15iKyzXWmQPVb0Oa8bGGPa_hoE_OgTedkXn25tXno0pz1_VOCXjDBbP11laah9X-akRkxoYlBjNiLtasfdreeUIi56asI80xuSZiL1UQDI4VMDEF2vN3cR8_uDucv0wNG9jE-5RMybO4Sg-pFcVqL4pzxtWq3z9uwZm75yOyE8y9l-q02xsrxF8MD_tbQ7DTKALI7ew7MVuB9xceRWAQgSpXpuOaNdNIWLRNPzxxenBfQIJ5EqCaOiE4EClCkWJkxhvHo_0qTKL1_DxCzH7cncfB0Qe1Lj_G3LyPCwD2-sLn1-wb_ChSsWh7Flz178phx6J5sVVpB8CwsQ1WgglrNqYm9LJ-g-2HSBFycU8k33ryv9bx9evpaPurYhlZ_7Fhf2r6V8a050rLGcNTvwaq0WSUyE6Jn7ZE56N_Q6Brt4I5yCnwXnqDDThGwF6_R4xxioVvRE9fo82mlMUjkNp6NYNQ8JK3Q0cJwqaLnyuk39zAhOoz65C2zCGDCsSy44E02uB39HyrZy15cbrW49e5M1CHn7FxhytJKfIe64uremGOtCeQsueT8E5JwPbCEhYteBNbbp-ohQ=w2464-h1386-no

WIBjwxttnyfeopwOD-EwdEqyVN74iL_81fCFe7MuFytNBDGQyuflWeuyaNnSUDJI7P63JFEm_rnYSB1LJ7Nor6S977ZBZ74QZzIJ8Cqgj1h3_ZgKqf9oHERYPXit7ZOQPySlK-OFVgykFeITbuU3HAqXKSRPSgy3qnyuM7O9SOEaAyEWtonKcuhBJzU8RuLPHdKegaKWrfkicXyRj_IZD8Kf50zy-iR-YcfJkelXFUV_kVNmNnPV_WladvQ5-gOl7zseS2euXuTTYW3iY0PL9lwHP6LztVKhkThuAPJ5XAvS3apqkS0J86zbc7_pGrXXR6_xb90vbFrq7R8kaShh7EjLYU6FO-Lxtcx25YRjhD5Z41TZefxzqGMVPKiRwaCivsYRs-y_Kfyw8jcyvSFSc-FImHZjOkP-ZUDD9ENpYNjviH_vXUUzidHd159rDzpswiNE9TervwLRHqYL3P5X554xCnpJG-HgZwgGNXhVDy0ivwWeZl8d8Kc_dvW3n2SY45VUbCinNxaWtH7W6h95ipxMV39tlnhC0IcrelTQWreDwTAdm464EKsZgvUVC7H1mfC_GPIv6mR5wA71G1Akr7YMJpIML_xvZkfwSbRbqBz_0h8P-65ag16ZL-r9Iyx-F88fsiW5shs8L9ALGLUinq50c3lkXE1v4tHu=w2464-h1386-no

Back