Any suggestions on These Big Bones

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Picked these big guys up in the dog food section of our local market. I've never done beef back rib bones before.
I found Chris's Lone Star Long ribs in the TVWB and will go with that. But was wondering if there were any other things I should do.
Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.

37101695920_9610570004_z.jpg

37101697040_1464e05b2b_z.jpg

I've cooked them well one time. Pull the membrane for sure. Then it's just a matter of cooking them until they are done. I can't remember if I used butcher paper, or foil or not.

I've cooked beef backs, similar to how I do my pork ribs (much faster cook tho). I just found them to have very little meat on them, at least the ones I got.

Pull the membrane for sure.
There's a second, thin membrane under the primary membrane. I usually don't bother trying to pull it off but I often score it.

Beef ribs are great no matter how you cook them, but I find I rarely get more complicated that salt, pepper, and oak.

I made some of the best beef ribs I have had few weeks ago. Probably shouldn't admit to this but was not feeling up to firing up the smoker the day a I planned on cooking so threw them in the slow cooker on low for about 3 hours. Put in refrigerator over night and and smoked using grill for about 30 minutes or so. Man where they good. Even had some good smoke to them.

Beef back ribs are for stocks. After 3-5 hours there is no meat on the bone. Do short ribs instead.

Once you pull the membrane cook same way as you would St Louis style ribs, except for a rub just use salt, pepper and garlic

Back