Thread: Canadian Bacon

TVWBB Fan

Canadian Bacon

I've previously made Canadian Bacon using a wet cure. When the local megamart had half pork loins on sale I picked up two and decided to try a dry cure. I measured out a goodly quantity of salt, Prague #1 salt, and sugar for a basic cure. Then I carefully weighed the amount of basic cure for each loin and applied it. The loins were then tightly covered in plastic wrap and put in zipper-top bags in the refrigerator for about nine days. I turned them daily (well, almost daily). Yesterday I took them out to soak and get them ready to put on the smoker tomorrow.

Here's the issue. One of them looks just like I expected - a dark reddish pink color. The other looks rather like a regular pork loin. After soaking for about 90 minutes I cut a small slice from the end of the not-so-reddish one and cooked it to test for salt level. It wasn't very salty. I'm guessing I somehow managed to scatter or leave on my hands enough cure that it didn't get the cure it needed. I didn't get sick from the little piece I ate and it tasted like pork so I'm guessing it will be safe to eat, though I'm a bit concerned about how long it will keep after smoking.

Any thoughts on what might have gone wrong? Or am I being concerned about nothing in regards to the color?

TVWBB Fan
    When I do mine I just spread the appropriate amount by weight, my cure ingredients are already weighed and pre mixed.
    Sometimes the meat doesn't come out real pink, but it is cured all the way through, and has a certain "stiffness" that raw meat doesn't have.
    After it's smoked cut a slice and check it again. If it's not cured properly you should see a whitish or grayish section in the center.

TVWBB Fan
    I smoked the Canadian bacon today. Just fried up a small piece from the one that didn't look right. I don't know if it's proper Candian bacon, but it was awfully darn tasty. And that was on a stomach full of pizza. I can only imagine what it will taste like first thing in the morning when I haven't eaten in twelve hours.